2022 Tahoe aftermarket airbags for towing - do they exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found any type of solution for this yet? Are all tahoes built with the same wiring harness? Could you just add OEM kit and have the software updated so the airride is on it?
That would be an extremely huge and expensive undertaking. Anything is possible, but it would be very difficult

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't really much you can do at this point. Adding bags or support will compromise handling when not towing (possibly to a dangerous extent), and air bags can't go inside the coils as it is a coilover spring/shock in the rear. Honestly, the only real option is finding a truck with air ride.
I don’t see the logic in “airbags will compromise handling when not towing(possibly to a dangerous extent)”…. I run airlift bags on my 2006 Denali xl that has the air assist shocks in the rear end. I run the bags full when towing or loaded up heavily. And when the truck is unloaded, like yesterday, I pulled out all of my detail gear out of the back to make a run off the mountain and didn’t need it, I drop the pressure in the bags to about 15PSI. I’ve been running this setup like 4 or 5 years now and there’s never any issue when they truck is unloaded and running that pressure in the bags. It rides totally fine and comfortable. It’s not dangerous at all up and down the mountain roads that get me to and from the big city. Why would the manufacturer of the bags recommend running that pressure in the bags then when it’s unloaded if it was dangerous? That’s not the case at all.

joeg4go

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been looking for a solution to this for over a year. I mistakenly thought the airlift 1000 airbags that are compatible with the previous generation of Tahoe would work, but I didn't notice that the airlift site listed 2015-2021. I had googled for 2022 airlift parts... Since we have coil over shock assembly in the rear, there is no way to insert an airbag inside of the spring and there is no axle on which to mount the heavier duty airlift 5000 bags which mount between the frame and the axle(I have these on my 2019 Ram 1500 and love them).

I found these plastic support for the front suspension and wonder if they would work on the rear suspension:

Any thoughts? Anyone willing to try?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a solution to this for over a year. I mistakenly thought the airlift 1000 airbags that are compatible with the previous generation of Tahoe would work, but I didn't notice that the airlift site listed 2015-2021. I had googled for 2022 airlift parts... Since we have coil over shock assembly in the rear, there is no way to insert an airbag inside of the spring and there is no axle on which to mount the heavier duty airlift 5000 bags which mount between the frame and the axle(I have these on my 2019 Ram 1500 and love them).

I found these plastic support for the front suspension and wonder if they would work on the rear suspension:

Any thoughts? Anyone willing to try?
As long as they are the correct size for the rear springs i dont see why they wouldnt work.

my16tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a 2022 Tahoe Z71 without the air ride suspension. I tow a travel trailer and also a boat and would like to install airbags for the rear suspension so I don’t have a sagging tail end. My local mechanic says he can’t seem to find any that are compatible with the new Tahoes. I searched online and can’t find any either. Has anyone had any luck finding aftermarket airbags??
Go to this web site for your solution https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...=54725&zenid=29b880a4711c81c0df8e26e59cfd55c1

elusive_danimal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That would be an extremely huge and expensive undertaking. Anything is possible, but it would be very difficult
What about belltech coil overs? I would imagine their dampening is a bit more aggressive than stock. Might not sag as much?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about belltech coil overs? I would imagine their dampening is a bit more aggressive than stock. Might not sag as much?
Meh, not sure on that. I dont really know. But, dampening really has nothing to do with supporting weight and sag etc. so i would guess unless the actual spring rate (which is what is related to sag and supporting the weight) is stiffer the outcome would be the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans