2022 Suburban HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Am I the only one pissed at seeing my money spent on a 3.6 million dollar burb?

That’s outrageous. Let those VIP’s ride around in a modified existing production vehicle. That’s what the rest of the world does.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what their goal is, to build something bad ass like this:

With $3.6M per Suburban, they can probably get pretty close, lol

Last edited:

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one pissed at seeing my money spent on a 3.6 million dollar burb?

That’s outrageous. Let those VIP’s ride around in a modified existing production vehicle. That’s what the rest of the world does.
No **** right?!?!

Has the government not ever heard of Duraburb?!?!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're still using 900s which are now 8 going on 9 years old. This few, they are probably for the President. Yep, Duraburb has 1 ton chassis to make K2 Suburbans but those are not being made anymore. I doubt the new design could handle the weight, those things weigh 12K plus pounds.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, as a retired civilian employee of the military I can assure you this isn't as silly as it appears, largely because these reporters don't explain the whole story. I wasn't in the contracting business, but I was occasionally exposed to various purchasing actions. Most likely this is a development contract.

First, I won't address requests for proposals, bidding and such that settled on GM vs. Ford or whatever. When the buyer said they wanted an SUV meeting a set of criteria, I'm sure no one had an off-the-shelf model that would match up. GM won by convincing the buyer that their vehicle could be modified best. The $36M is mostly to design the changes. The 10 vehicles are low-rate limited to proof out the changes, performance, safety standards, emissions, documentation, components, maintenance, and who knows what else it would take to make a certifiable street legal vehicle that meets the buyer's criteria. I'd bet the contract has options to buy hundreds more at a much lower price if the buying agency is satisfied with the first ten.

I could be wrong, but that's my take.

RedInCo

Reaction score
I saw a different news story that said there would be about 200 more per year for nine years. No word on what those would cost.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a v8 Duramax and armor up the Suburban? For that matter, an up armored SUV is already commercially available. Lenco out in Pittsfield, MA builds their own armored SUV body on a Ford 550 chassis for a starting price of around 300k. Agencies all over the country have them. https://www.lencoarmor.com/bearcat-variants/

Serious lack of supervision. What a typical waste of resources, the Navy's $700.00 toilet seat, now a bargain by today's standards.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching the evening news lately I'd guess there could be thousands ordered yearly. Those Tahoes are everywhere in law enforcement and border control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right