2022 speed limit blank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JStorer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 Tahoe on 12/11/2021. The Speed limit sign has been blank since we bought it. I went to the local dealership he said he would be able to fix it when I did my first oil change. He told me to park outside my garage and it would update and be fixed the next day. That didn’t work. So 4 trips to 2 different lots they are now telling me I have to have the data package to make this work. Which ok they might be true (I don’t think so) but they can not tell me why it didn’t work when we had the trial data package. I refuse to purchase the data package just to see if that fixes the problem. I spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with gm and then onstar. Back to gm and then back to onstar.
It’s one of the features I loved on my 2017 Tahoe and it sucks that my 2022 doesn’t work.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I had this issue for about the first 3-5 days. Now it is flawless. I did download some offline maps for my state and the immediate adjacent spots I tend to drive to, not sure if this helped or not, but it seems work flawlessly now.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
How did you download the offline maps and choose which regions to download?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you download the offline maps and choose which regions to download?
Select Google Maps on the infotainment screen, Hit Menu icon in upper left, select download offline maps, pick the region you want, download.

Do this in your garage connected to your home wifi, it goes way faster.

I did it 3-4 times, hit all the adjacent states I travel to, so I have them all downloaded.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
Select Google Maps on the infotainment screen, Hit Menu icon in upper left, select download offline maps, pick the region you want, download.

Do this in your garage connected to your home wifi, it goes way faster.

I did it 3-4 times, hit all the adjacent states I travel to, so I have them all downloaded.
Do you have the data plan in the vehicle?

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve confirmed that the speed limit sign only works with a data plan on the ‘22s. Mine worked flawlessly until my free trial ran out and it stopped working the same day. I have all offline maps downloaded, and navigation actually continues to work fine (It’s only been a day, though since my trial expired).

I’m still not sure exactly what plan is required or if I can order it adhoc.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve confirmed that the speed limit sign only works with a data plan on the ‘22s. Mine worked flawlessly until my free trial ran out and it stopped working the same day. I have all offline maps downloaded, and navigation actually continues to work fine (It’s only been a day, though since my trial expired).

I’m still not sure exactly what plan is required or if I can order it adhoc.
You need the Connected Access plan I think..the one that gives you a wifi hotspot.

But, one more thing to try: connect your vehicle to your cell phone wifi hotspot and see if that brings it back.

I’m kind of pissed at GM about this: it’s bad enough that some features require a subscription. It’s worse
that finding out which ones is trial and error…seems like the dealers or the customer service people should know…

I did find this chart, but unclear how accurate it is.

Last edited:

suburbansince87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone else figure this out? My car acts like it doesn't have a data plan.

I have a Denali so agree car should have a data plan. Yet, in Google Maps (ugh) it does the "some features don't work without a data plan, see <URL> for more info" banner on startup. Also trying to enable offline maps doesn't work in the menus.

I assume there's something with OnStar that's not set up? We get their monthly reports on the vehicle so it seems something is working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf