2022 Lifter Issue? - w/video, out of state issue (edit: thrust bearing broke)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
Did GM dealer find what the issue is? does that engine still use a vacuum pump?. sounds external?

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
This is a customer experience gap with Chevrolet selling a really expensive vehicle like this. Customers in this price range expect a certain level of service, the Chevrolet dealers are simply not prepared to provide.

I’ve bought both BMWs and Land Rover’s new in the past, and the service level is definitely higher when there is a problem.

Did GM dealer find what the issue is? does that engine still use a vacuum pump?. sounds external?
Haven't heard from the dealer yet but yes, it sounded like a diaphragm leaking to us BUT where its coming from, only intake plenum. And the Denver dealer said when he touched the intake he could feel a vibration. I also had something that sounded like a belt squeak 4-6 weeks ago, maybe I was hearing an early sign of a bearing go out.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Update - GM called me tonight, they have been trying to reach the dealer and do not have an answer. They thanked me for being patient.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Dealer called, they ordered a new engine. Thrust bearing broke and metal shavings throughout the motor. I’ll talk to GM tomorrow and figure things out, engines are currently backordered. He had no guess on time but said a month was a good guess.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer called, they ordered a new engine. Thrust bearing broke and metal shavings throughout the motor. I’ll talk to GM tomorrow and figure things out, engines are currently backordered. He had no guess on time but said a month was a good guess.
Hmmm...thrust bearings don't typically break, per se. They fail due to abnormal wear. They can be subject to excessive loads caused by improper assembly, poor surface finishes, too little or too much clearance causing oil starvation, problems with the transmission or torque converter creating too much forward pressure on the bearing, and even poor engine grounding can cause one to fail.

Probably a 90% chance that replacing the engine will solve the problem permanently but there is still a chance that a problem with the transmission, torque converter or alignment between them will cause another to fail down the road. GM likely has procedures to check for these and rule them out, so hopefully the techs will do the work by the book.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Hmmm...thrust bearings don't typically break, per se. They fail due to abnormal wear. They can be subject to excessive loads caused by improper assembly, poor surface finishes, too little or too much clearance causing oil starvation, problems with the transmission or torque converter creating too much forward pressure on the bearing, and even poor engine grounding can cause one to fail.

Probably a 90% chance that replacing the engine will solve the problem permanently but there is still a chance that a problem with the transmission, torque converter or alignment between them will cause another to fail down the road. GM likely has procedures to check for these and rule them out, so hopefully the techs will do the work by the book.
That’s close to what my dad said who has rebuilt his share of motors (poor and mechanically inclined) - he thought it would be caused by oil starvation. Unfortunate event, that’s for sure.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Just thought I would give an update. Chevy Customer Care is almost comical.
They have called every week to say no ETA on a new motor which I do appreciate.

Yesterday I called and said I'd like to setup a process for them to reimburse me for the rental car - currently $3,500 and growing. They sent an email to me which I could respond too with the receipts - easy and pleasant conversation. Caveat, I do dislike work from home situations where I hear kids in the background, TV going and the connection to VoIP is laggy.

Today Customer Care called and they were on the offensive. The jest of the convo.
"We can't just pay these, the car/case has to be closed/completed. Do you know when it will be done?"
No, do you know?
"We don't have that information."
"and we can't just authorize a rental car for you."
We tell her the entire story again, she responds, none of that is in the notes...
"Did you call local dealers and try to find a Tahoe loaner?"
No, you did Dec 31st.
"We don't do that."
But you did
"Who did”
The lady I spoke to on Dec 31st and she had no luck.
"Ok, I'll review everything and call you Saturday"
Thank you

In addition to all this I'm renting a Ford Expedition. I told them I tried to get a Tahoe but they had been pulled for a recall :)

Man, I wish they could get their act together.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this is why I've ALWAYS had a 3rd car to drive. It's saved my neck innumerable amounts of times, for many various reasons. Paid for forever and cheap plates and insurance. Don't even want to go to war, rack up a bunch of bucks, to find out: "we'll only pay 30.00 a day"
You may deserve a loaner, but the odds are highly likely... you won't get one...
Maybe your auto insurance policy can help you out.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
1 - I need a vehicle that hauls 5 kids, a spare Tahoe is too much $$$.
2 - But to your point, I actually have a Rivian R1S on order that will replace my wife’s BMW sedan, tentative delivery Feb-Mar, that would fill the gap and give us increased flexibility but no confirmed date.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Based on a recommendation from a friend who is Lemon'ing his F-150 he told me to look at that as an option to limit liability. At 30 days without resolution I can file.

I understand GM would rather sell a new vehicle with a motor but after a call with Customer Case last night talking about that option and if that is financially better for everybody I got a response, "how would I know what your laws are, I live in Georgia, your in Arkansas, I don't know that". Can you put in writing you'll pay for the rental then. "I haven't worked on your case this week and will call Saturday...."

Based on my math, I think it would easier for all parties. Idk. Title in hand.

We'll see, maybe a motor shows up next week. Based on the math after 12 months of ownership I'd be out $15,000. (MSRP + taxes + registration + extras) - state mileage deduction of $15,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts