2022 Chevy RST - Dealership Question For Pick Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rydogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi -

I am buying my first brand new car ever - 2022 Chevy Tahoe RST.

I am supposed to be picking it up this weekend.

My sales person has been awesome and a real straight shooter.

However, I am a little nervous about what happens after he turns me over to the other people at the dealership (e.g. finance people, etc). I am working on the loan through an outside company before going in there blind.

I just have never done this before.

What options are they going to throw at me? Lease gap coverage? Warranties? Maintenance Packages for oil changes? ???

Any advice on what to buy or what is worth it? I know it is all discretionary, but I just have never been in there before and I just assumed to say "NO" to everything so I didn't get taken advantage of, but if anyone has advice then please let me know.

I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all congratulations! Purchasing any vehicle is a big and exciting life event for most, but especially a brand new one!

Can totally relate to the anxiety of dealing with the dealership, especially the dreaded finance office. First of all, just remember you are there to make a purchase of your lifetime and you are free to step out at any moment. You are the one holding all the cards, and even in this crazy market, they need you more than you need them - if not today, there will be thousands more opportunities to buy a Tahoe in the future. Just remember that you are in the driver seat and do not let anyone at the dealership convince you otherwise. Be calm, confident and, although very unlikely, even ready to walk out in the event things really don’t go your way. Unfortunately, dealers are known to try and pull a “quick one” on you and just be ready to expect it and you will be better off being prepared for it. At the end of day, your Tahoe is not a one off collectible but a mass produced, disposable and depreciating chunk of metal that there are literally thousands made of every day.

Now, what to buy and not buy in the finance off.. I will say this (and I’m sure some will disagree), there’s nothing, I repeat, NOTHING that you will likely be aggressively offered to purchase in the finance department that’s worth it in the long term. All you should know is that everything they will try to sell you has a 50-95% profit margin for the dealer. It’s instant cash going from your pocket (or loan) into theirs. It’s literally designed to extract as much pure profit from you, regardless of the BS they will try to sell you on. They may give you a million reasons why this is the only chance to get XYZ protection/warranty/maintenance plan but that is simply not true. Most, if not all these products can be purchased later may you decide to really want them anyway. But again, based on my experience buying many vehicles from different brands including “premium”/known to be unreliable BMWs/Audis. In the long run, these things are almost never worth it. I say almost because sure, there are some stories where someone purchased an extended warranty and the entire engine blew up 10 miles after the manufacturers warranty expired than then paid for itself. But for every one of those stories there are dozens/hundreds that didn’t. Again, the math just almost never works out in the long term.. especially when considered across multiple vehicle purchases over ones lifetime.

Theres something to be said for the piece of mind of a warranty or maintenance plan to avoid the surprises of large expenses unexpectedly. However IMO a much better approach is to set aside the money you would spend on a warranty for the day you may need it. Again, if you do that over your lifetime and owning multiple vehicles you will almost certainly be ahead. Especially if you put that money to work in a money market or brokerage account, it will make you more as opposed to giving someone else an interest free loan you loose at the end of the term. In addition, most warranties/maintenance plans usually come with a million strings attached to the point you’re even less likely to get full value out of them. And keep in mind, all these products and warranties and the companies offering them wouldn’t be in business if that wasn’t the case.

Since you mentioned bringing your own financing, this is possibly the ONLY item worth discussing in the finance office to see if they can get a better rate than you have currently. You can be completely upfront with them by saying I have my own financing at xx% rate, if you are able to get at least 0.5% below I will be happy to use your financing. That’s it. Anything else you just politely say “No”. No matter how many times they will ask and guilt you into buying whatever it is they are trying to sell. Just remember to be polite, hear them out and simply respond with a polite “thank you for the offer but I’m not interested in XYZ product/warranty/maintenance plan”.

Also, not all finance managers will be the same. For each experience where the person was pushy and trying to sell me on every single item on their list, I’ve experienced plenty of times where after a few polite “no’s” they simply “got the message” and just moved to complete paperwork and get me out of there quickly.

Just remember to enjoy the process, purchasing a brand new vehicle doesn’t happen every day and is a super exciting event you should fully embrace and enjoy. Definitely don’t let a potentially pushy finance manager ruin it for you by coming prepared, staying calm and being polite. Because in the end, although it doesn’t always seem like it, they are human too :)

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a plug for them, I have no skin in the game, but Your Auto Advocate has a bunch of great material and videos on their website to take you through what to expect. (See their deal school, its free, here https://community.joinyaa.com/c/deal-school/ )

I highly suggest you spend time watching their videos about what goes on in the Finance and Insurance department.
Do a little pre work and understand what you can buy service contracts for on the open market, and recognize you can always add these after the purchase, regardless of what the guy doing the paperwork tells you.
My view on service contracts is I never buy them: I view them as a financial product, which is there to make the dealer and the issuer money. You would be better served putting the same amount of your own cash in a bond fund (even if you think about financing it, just save the cash off to the side), and use it for future repairs...there are some that disagree w/ me, but there is a reason this is a high profit part of the deal...

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The finance department part of the deal is the part that always drives me nuts. I pass on EVERYTHING. As said above, all of these things can be added after the fact for a comparable price, if not cheaper. I've owned ~25 vehicles in my lifetime and the only 2 times I have bought the extended warranty was when we bought my wife's Jeep Overland, at the time MOPAR offered LIFETIME bumper to bumper coverage for everything except brakes and tires w/ a $100 deductible. That warranty has paid for itself a couple of times over at this point. The second time was the maintenance package I bought on my 5 series BMW. Paid for itself after the first brake job.

At this point there aren't many, if any, brands that are offering warranties or maintenance coverage like this. So, my perspective is to pass on all the heavily marked up packages they offer and give yourself up to 3 years to figure out what coverage you might need for your vehicle. Good luck with your purchase!

GoHeels

Reaction score
Knowing the rate/terms you are qualified for outside of the dealership is good info but you could still be at the mercy of the dealership. In NC, a dealer can require you to use their financing. It's 100% legal. Mine did but also basically matched terms & rate (0.03% higher rate). Being aware of it at least will give you the knowledge to know if they are taking advantage of you and then up to you if you decide to walk.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knowing the rate/terms you are qualified for outside of the dealership is good info but you could still be at the mercy of the dealership. In NC, a dealer can require you to use their financing. It's 100% legal. Mine did but also basically matched terms & rate (0.03% higher rate). Being aware of it at least will give you the knowledge to know if they are taking advantage of you and then up to you if you decide to walk.
That is absolutely CRAZY. So, in NC, you can't go into a dealer and just pay cash??? They can require you to take their financing? That is effectively what securing your own financing is...

Here in MN, with my bank, I can call them ahead of time, get commitment on the amount they are willing to finance, go write a check, call the bank after the fact and advise them of the final amount, and then file the lien on the vehicle...and they will cover my check...

Note to the OP, read the contract carefully, be sure there is no early payment penalty, etc...this would prevent you from re-financing or paying off early. I think federal law prevents prepayment penalties for loans longer than 61 months..but below that..you are at mercy of the state laws.

GoHeels

Reaction score
Basically, yes. I honestly would not be surprised if this was the same in many other states. I just doubt it’s really ever been a thing until lately. Dealerships have the upper hand right now.

My dealer accepted supplier pricing, low dealer fee, and didn’t force any add ons. That’s rare in my area and I spoke to a TON of dealers. Their sales manager told me they required finance because people were buying cars from them then turning around and flipping for a profit. Forcing their finance was their way of ensuring you keep the vehicle at least 6 months or pay an early finance penalty.

GoHeels

Reaction score
Here’s a pretty good article on all of that:

Sounds like it’s pretty much legal everywhere.

OP
OP
R

Rydogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I really appreciate your time and comments.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, yes. I honestly would not be surprised if this was the same in many other states. I just doubt it’s really ever been a thing until lately. Dealerships have the upper hand right now.

My dealer accepted supplier pricing, low dealer fee, and didn’t force any add ons. That’s rare in my area and I spoke to a TON of dealers. Their sales manager told me they required finance because people were buying cars from them then turning around and flipping for a profit. Forcing their finance was their way of ensuring you keep the vehicle at least 6 months or pay an early finance penalty.

bought a truck in Feb from a dealer pricing them below employee pricing...i had to sign a form saying I wouldn't sell it for 6 months...not really sure if they could really enforce it but I signed it anyway as I wasn't planning on selling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288