2021 Yukon XL At4 Dead before leaving Dealer Lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevedonato

Reaction score
I drive past Kentucky Speedway occasionally and can confirm that the fields surrounding it are packed FULL of THOUSANDS of new Ford pickup trucks waiting for chips. I've thought the same thing, would I want a vehicle that sat in a farm field for six months? This chip thing is really throwing normal supply dynamics into a tailspin.

Did a quick search for a picture to share and found lots, but here's a video from a news story about it. Note that it's from 5 months ago, and those trucks are still piling up, so they're not just sitting for "a few weeks." Imagine the effect on the market when chips become available again and the new car market is glutted with inventory! I would guess new and used prices will drop quickly.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just commenting on the post about getting wires chewed while waiting for chips. Seems legit.
The answer is to manufacture chips in USA. Dont you think the Car manufactures could afford to pay a litle more when they are selling SUVs and Pickups from $40-$80,000 a pop?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dissagree but 'things like this' never happen to Japanese Cars. Terrible QA at GM. Let's not forget GM's inferior brake lines in the Silverados and Sierras from 1990-2005 over 20 years and they new it but sill used them.
If a reliable Japanese mfg offered a full size diesel vehicle that could match this one, I’d seriously consider it. If the Japanese are so brilliant, why haven’t they penetrated this market?

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dissagree but 'things like this' never happen to Japanese Cars. Terrible QA at GM. Let's not forget GM's inferior brake lines in the Silverados and Sierras from 1990-2005 over 20 years and they new it but sill used them.
Nope, not true. I've got a Lexus and two Acuras. I've had plenty of problems like this with all of them. Electrical, mechanical, premature failures...some quality issues, some engineering design. Actually, many more than I've had with my Tahoe and Escalade. This stuff happens everywhere.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, not true. I've got a Lexus and two Acuras. I've had plenty of problems like this with all of them. Electrical, mechanical, premature failures...some quality issues, some engineering design. Actually, many more than I've had with my Tahoe and Escalade. This stuff happens everywhere.
I was gonna call BS but I haven’t owned a Japanese vehicle since I was a kid and I’m real old now. I have heard the same stories about them as the American vehicles. They all use the same parts manufacturers anymore, sourced from all over the world. Plus with the complexity of today’s vehicles, it’s gonna happen especially on the brand new platforms. Wishful thinking though.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
The answer is to manufacture chips in USA. Dont you think the Car manufactures could afford to pay a litle more when they are selling SUVs and Pickups from $40-$80,000 a pop?
I watched a report about this maybe a month ago. They interviewed the CEO of the only chipmaker in the US. He said to add that capacity would cost billions and they still don't have the technology to do what the Taiwanese do. Their dominance of this technology is what makes them a target for a Chinese invasion (China can't make these chips either.) This would likely set off a global response that would not be good unless you're in the weapons industry.
But yes, if we could make them it would solve a lot of problems. Unfortunately it seems that is not really an option yet.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed!
A lot of people today have no tolerance, patience, or any reasonable logic when they encounter a problem. Their first and only thought is go nuclear, Sue, Sue, Sue, this thing is a piece of crap, give me a new one, don’t ever buy this vehicle again, etc. etc.
I’ve had many vehicle problems, emissions issues, waited on parts for weeks and weeks and weeks, you name it. All of the things I mentioned above should be last resorts, not first thoughts…. When you’ve suffered thru some of life’s real problems, these don’t seem so big anymore….

Agreed! I didn't know that snowflakes were allowed on this forum.

The dealer immediately sent out technicians to work on it and ordered the part. Isbell is owed nothing more. If she wants to cancel the order, I'll bet there are a hundred other buyers that would jump on it.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all have convinced me. Keep what I got (already did BOTH banks of lifters). Really wanted a Callaway conversion (560hp) on a new Yukon XL...but too many problems listed here on 2021's. Saw an older Callaway in the parking lot: "Sir...will you please quit licking my car"! LOL LOL Man, was that thing NICE!

look for a used one ;) although i havent seen many for sale.
mine is a hoot especially w/ brakes & sway bars added. ;) (although just the 5.3L)

save A LOT of $$$$ if you find a used one as well.
saw one on auction site for a '16 denali w/ ~16k miles, it sold for under $45k

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Yukon Xl / AT4 recently arrived at our local dealer. After paperwork and introduction with sales I prepared to leave the lot with the vehicle. This is my first Yukon. Completely out of nowhere the truck wouldn't start. It would crank but sounded like no gas was going to the engine. I mean I literally hadn't left the lot. The dealer had 5 techs on it quickly. I left the lot in my rented vehicle (previous car totaled) rather than wait for them to figure it out. They followed up to say it was a bad ECM and offered to order it and put me in a loaner. That is the extent of what they have offered. I was pretty chill about everything but obviously very disappointed.

Any advice out there?
What would be a realistic response from the dealer?
If this were you would you go through with the purchase? I think I have already bought the vehicle but have not taken possession. Given the current state of the car market I am not in a strong position.

Any realistic advise appreciated.
ASK for the money back it's a future lemon..

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a bit of irony, Kokomo Indiana where Delco Electronics ran several fabs where chips were manufactured 24/7 and has since been closed down and outsourced. Those same lots where thousands of workers parked each day are now filled with thousands of GM trucks waiting for chips while GM begs government for seed money to make chips.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed!

Agreed! I didn't know that snowflakes were allowed on this forum.

The dealer immediately sent out technicians to work on it and ordered the part. Isbell is owed nothing more. If she wants to cancel the order, I'll bet there are a hundred other buyers that would jump on it.
Let's chalk it up to lowered expectations. sad