2021 Yukon XL 3.0 Fuel Fill Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GmcJing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife filled up this morning and when she pulled the nozzle out the spring loaded fuel fill cap had come off and was sitting inside the fuel fill neck. It's impossible to pull it out through the filler neck.
Contacted dealer, and the whole assembly needs to be replaced and the parts are a week out. Leaving on a summer trip tomorrow so I guess we will be riding around with a plastic bag with an elastic band to keep a lid on things.
Anyone else have this issue / come up with a way to put it back in place? I've done some searching and haven't found any DIY solution yet.

Fuel Fill.jpg

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this forum for a green diesel cap. It says for Dodge but many have used it on our Tahoe/Yukon with no problems. I will try to find it on my Amazon orders

Ungawa

Reaction score
Your other option would be get a test bulb used in the plumbing trade……..it’s an inflateable rubber plug with a schrader valve on it. You could use a battery power air pump.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The billet aluminum one posted above is what I use on mine. If your pressed for time, I would just go to Home Depot and get a rubber plug. Or a rubber band and ziplock bag.

Hornman120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife filled up this morning and when she pulled the nozzle out the spring loaded fuel fill cap had come off and was sitting inside the fuel fill neck. It's impossible to pull it out through the filler neck.
Contacted dealer, and the whole assembly needs to be replaced and the parts are a week out. Leaving on a summer trip tomorrow so I guess we will be riding around with a plastic bag with an elastic band to keep a lid on things.
Anyone else have this issue / come up with a way to put it back in place? I've done some searching and haven't found any DIY solution yet.

View attachment 373572
The exact same thing happened to me last week on my 22 Suburban while in Tennessee (I live in Kansas). After I got home, I went to the dealership yesterday and was told the same thing by the service guys, a whole new assembly. At least it's under warranty. They went ahead and ordered the assembly and will call me when it arrives. Ironically, they told me the same thing happened to the dealership owner on his 21 Silverado. I wonder if the problem is caused by using a Truck Sized diesel nozzle. I noticed the problem on the next fill where they had an Auto Diesel Pump.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with an ordinary fuel fill cap on a plastic retaining strap like every other passenger vehicle?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with an ordinary fuel fill cap on a plastic retaining strap like every other passenger vehicle?
The automakers went to this setup because of all the morons out there who didn’t tighten their cap, then got a check engine light, then went to dealer for warranty work only to have the cause be a loose cap…

Either that or the CARB figured they could save 0.000003 grams of evaporating fuel and it was better for the environment!