2021 Yukon Denali - Electrical accessories are rebooting with auto start/stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
A valentine one radar detector connected to the center console 12v power will reboot when stopping with auto start/stop enabled. It doesn't reboot in another car. I also tried with a streamer connected to the outlet in the 2nd row and it would also reboot.

So it has power before after the car auto-stops, but devices connected to the 12v or outlet will restart around that transition.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Wow, that is jacked up!

My accord hybrid does not do that, when it shuts off everything still works. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but GM should have done the same. That's unacceptable, take it to the dealer. There has to be a fix to it

05RubiconLJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If 12V power is ON when the vehicle is running, remains ON when the engine stops, say at a stop light, but power is temporarily cut to the outlet when the engine restarts to pull away from the stop light, I think you have an issue. I would certainly explain this to your dealership service team and have them investigate. If nothing else in the vehicle is having an electrical 'reset' every time the start/stop feature cycles, I doubt a couple of 12v ports are a critical part of the restart process.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 12V power is ON when the vehicle is running, remains ON when the engine stops, say at a stop light, but power is temporarily cut to the outlet when the engine restarts to pull away from the stop light, I think you have an issue. I would certainly explain this to your dealership service team and have them investigate. If nothing else in the vehicle is having an electrical 'reset' every time the start/stop feature cycles, I doubt a couple of 12v ports are a critical part of the restart process.

reads like standard process per user manual,

which is pretty dumb considering multiple other manufacturers dont have to do this

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try this for Valentine One. Or try powering it with a savvy which connects to the OBD port which should always be powered. Or you could hardwire it using a tap a fuse to a circuit that is always hot. Also you could wire it using a mirror tap which draws power from the mirror connector.

https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=20221
https://www.valentine1.com/v1-detectors/savvy/
mirror only has 8-10 volts, makes the valentine go goofy, you have to patch in above at the passenger air bag light harness which has 12v with key on accessory

OP
OP
H

Highway3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
found copy of '21 manual online.... appears you will need to disable auto-stop, if you dont want items to reboot.

pg.97

also appears you dont have the fuse option the k2xx platform ('15-'20's) had.

Good eye, thanks. It's on page 100 in my manual:
https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmow...21/gmc/yukon/2021-gmc-yukon-owners-manual.pdf

The outlet does not operate while the engine is starting. If a USB powered streaming device is being used, it is suggested to use a USB Port for power, see USB Port 0 150. If uninterrupted power supply is required while driving, disable the auto-stop feature

Not sure why anyone *wouldn't* require an uninterrupted power supply, but it may be hard to honestly convince the dealer it's a problem when it's documented to work this way. What's the best they could do?

So I'll continue using the workaround of disabling auto-stop.

For the V1, I hardwired it today to one of the harnesses behind the shroud on the windshield; it tested at 14+ volts and seems to be working just fine.

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
I've had the radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter go off/on when the engine is on, trans in park, and the rear passenger doors are opened.

OP
OP
H

Highway3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out that even the hardwired V1 is rebooting with the auto start/stop. It does not loose power when it goes off at a stop light, but it will reboot when taking off again.

I hardwired it to one of the harnesses behind the shroud above the rear view mirror.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out that even the hardwired V1 is rebooting with the auto start/stop. It does not loose power when it goes off at a stop light, but it will reboot when taking off again.

I hardwired it to one of the harnesses behind the shroud above the rear view mirror.
Run it direct to battery with an in-line switch.

gonatee

Reaction score
for the '15-'20's, the 12v & USB would turn off when ignition was switched off.
so in our owners manual , (page 5-7) it showed how to keep the ports on constant,

unsure if '21's have same, but worth checking your book & maybe looking at fuse panel

as fyi....
View attachment 258476

Thanks for the info! My manual says nothing about that and the pages are numberd 1 to 350 n sumthin..??

Texas Firefighter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
found copy of '21 manual online.... appears you will need to disable auto-stop, if you dont want items to reboot.

pg.97

also appears you dont have the fuse option the k2xx platform ('15-'20's) had.

Not true, I hardwired mine moving the 12v / usb square fuse over 1 spot in the fuse panel on the passenger size of my 2021 tahoe and used a connector to tap into and it works flawlessly