2021 Yukon Denali - Auto stop/start - any news on disabling automatically?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if you did not want to hit the off button every time you started up the engine you could talk to a mechanic and see if it could be disabled via a Tech II tool. Not sure about the 2021s but I would think it could be done. That would be a great question to ask a technician. Maybe they could change the default to off when you start the engine. keep us posted.

OP
OP
Syniba

Syniba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I asked the dealer when I purchased, said it can't be done. Obviously we all know that it can be, prob gotta either go your route with a non-GM tech with the right tools or wait for aftermarket.

OP
OP
Syniba

Syniba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those reading, it's barely noticeable and quite smooth regardless. Still want to disable it though.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will either probably have to wait for a aftermarket solution or browse thru the technical details of how it functions and find a fault that would disable it and not cause any detrimental effect, so say if you unplugged something it may put a error message in the dic but wouldn't necessarily cause any harm other than slightly lower mpg.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, the Tech 2 hasn't worked on ANY model since 2013...

GM cannot disable the auto stop because it will affect emissions output. They gave you a button to be able to disable it so you're just going to have to use it. That's the price to pay to still be able to buy a body-on-frame SUV with a big V8. There probably will eventually be something aftermarket to disable it but unless it is like the Range device that just plugs into the DLC port and can be removed at any time it will void your warranty.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 2002 Trans Am, the traction control was enabled by default, and just like the auto stop/start, you could push a button to disable it. I wanted it disabled by default, so I designed a one-shot circuit that I attached to the back of the switch that basically pushed the button for me every time the car was started. Worked great, other than the fact that I went through rear tires a lot faster! I would imagine that something similar could be done here.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the big deal about just pushing the disable button?
Make it routine. Start car disable start stop. Put in gear and go.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the big deal about just pushing the disable button?
Make it routine. Start car disable start stop. Put in gear and go.

Agreed. I have to clear the back seat reminder in my car because I always put my bag in the back seat It’s second nature now. Just like people who have aftermarket bumper accessories have to disable the park assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan