2021 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EmilyShuey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new Tahoe in February. It was in the shop straight off the transport truck at 64 miles to have all 16 lifters, cam shaft, and push rods replaced. Thinking this was a “one off” problem and was addressed, we bought it. Today, at 14,779 miles it’s now being towed to the dealership for what will be the THIRD replacement of these same parts. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what has Chevy done about it? I am very unhappy to have paid $72k for a vehicle that has been in the shop almost as long as I’ve owned it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM probably won’t do anything other than replace the parts. If I were you I’d be looking into your states lemon laws and figuring out how to go that route.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Tahoe in February. It was in the shop straight off the transport truck at 64 miles to have all 16 lifters, cam shaft, and push rods replaced. Thinking this was a “one off” problem and was addressed, we bought it. Today, at 14,779 miles it’s now being towed to the dealership for what will be the THIRD replacement of these same parts. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what has Chevy done about it? I am very unhappy to have paid $72k for a vehicle that has been in the shop almost as long as I’ve owned it.
If nothing can be done from a lemon law standpoint there have been others on the forum here that got GM to throw in a 3-year Protection Plan that kicks in after your factory warranty is up.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes we are already doing that.
Just curious…when was yours built? When you open the drivers door, there’s a decal that should show the build date. Mine shows March 2021…I’m mainly just curious what build dates are affected by the lifter issue problem.

So far mine hasn’t had any issues but I only have 2,600 miles on it. I thought I saw another person as recent as January have the same problem, but also saw a YouTube video related to the Chevy/GMC trucks with them (which uses the same engine) where the person thought the bad lifters were in motors from Sept 2020 they March 2021, although I’m not sure where that person got their info from (not sure on the accuracy of that).

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM introduced the DFM engines in the 2019 pickups so they've been out there and they've been having this problem since the Fall of 2018. That's going on three years and GM doesn't have a solution. My solution is don't buy it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do feel bad for those who have experienced this issue, but to keep things in perspective I bet only a fraction of a percentage of the tens of thousands of these vehicles sold experience the failure. Hardly a different failure rate from various issues experienced by any manufacturer IMO. I wouldn't be concerned enough to not buy one of these vehicles if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Still seems several members here wish they would have waited another year or two.

Sometimes it's like cell phones for people. I still have and love my military grade Samsung S8 Active. I put a regular old case on it and a screen saver and I have literally, to win a bet of $100, have thrown it against a wall from 10 feet away and that thing doesn't even show any problem in looks or use. My NBS, seems just as tough and gets the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons