2021 Tahoe with 6k miles mine has already had a head off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had that happen to my 21 Tahoe with 4300 miles yesterday. Didn't think I was going to make it to the dealer because it was making a lot of racket and chugging at a stop. Dealer just told me the news and it maybe close to to 2 weeks to get the parts and repair. They are replacing all the lifters but as the op said, my trust factor is going down fast. I just took a trip to Daytona last weekend and if it happened there, it would have been catastrophic.

The service consultant said it is a known issue. Well why hasn't there been a recall? This is B.S. for a new car and I know I am a guinea pig for a new model but damn!
I’m in the same boat with the issues on my 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L. Lots of posts about damage to other components (bushings/pistons/camshaft) from the bent lifters/pushrods, but my service adviser hasn’t said whether they’re willing to take a deep enough look inside the engine. My confidence level in the long-term performance of the engine, even with all the lifters replaced, is approximately zero. GM should proactively reach out to the owners with VINs that got the defective batch, but they’re no doubt trying to spread the losses out as much as possible as owners cross into the failure zone of 4000-8000 miles at different rates.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if it is indeed bad valve springs for certain manufacture dates, why hasn't GM issued a recall? I've seen several references to initial repairs and then subsequent failure, with what I would assume are "in-spec" parts from the suppliers.
They’re not going to issue a recall, because as you can see, they don’t have the parts available to fix the vehicles that ARE breaking down, so they definitely don’t have the parts to fix all the vehicles by that were built with faulty lifters proactively. GM is hoping that other buyers won’t have issues until they can get more parts in. It’s part of a cover-up. It will take one of us dying and exposing that the cause was a breakdown at the wrong time due to the faulty lifters while they knew about it the whole time and did nothing to precipitate a change. Unfortunately, it will happen. Besides buying a 70k-115k paperweight, envisioning that scenario is what has most of us pi$$ed. I love the size and features of my Tahoe, but the handling of this, while understandable, is infuriating. We all bought these because we need to be able to rely on them. I hope GM gets their $hit together soon.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its one of my employees. They gave him a new Silverado 2.7 Turbo as a loaner.
That’s nice. All three of the dealers in my area sold all their loaners, so we’re fighting over the one car we still have in my household. The few rentals out there are tiny cars renting for 2-3x’s the amount GM will commit to reimbursing. Most of the car rental places won’t rent without knowing the end date, which is impossible because neither the service department nor GM customer service can give an estimate better than “anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.” What a train wreck.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re not going to issue a recall, because as you can see, they don’t have the parts available to fix the vehicles that ARE breaking down, so they definitely don’t have the parts to fix all the vehicles by that were built with faulty lifters proactively. GM is hoping that other buyers won’t have issues until they can get more parts in. It’s part of a cover-up. It will take one of us dying and exposing that the cause was a breakdown at the wrong time due to the faulty lifters while they knew about it the whole time and did nothing to precipitate a change. Unfortunately, it will happen. Besides buying a 70k-115k paperweight, envisioning that scenario is what has most of us pi$$ed. I love the size and features of my Tahoe, but the handling of this, while understandable, is infuriating. We all bought these because we need to be able to rely on them. I hope GM gets their $hit together soon.

What makes you think it's a defective batch and not design fault?

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What makes you think it's a defective batch and not design fault?
Unless I’m mistaken, the engines going in the 2021s were redesigned a few years ago (2019). Although there have been some issues with them over the past few years, it hasn’t been anything like this. The sharp rise in powertrain issues among models using that 3-yr-old engine design strongly suggests that it’s the component of the engine and not the engine design generally. The redesign of the rest of the vehicle shouldn’t affect the engine performance or cause a higher incidence of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17