2021 Tahoe with 6k miles mine has already had a head off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well here is an update. As noted above, my 2021 Tahoe High Country started getting numerous warning lights, fixed by the dealer, and less than a week later at 7,400 miles I got the knocking and shuddering, which the dealer identified as the lifter/pushrod issue.

Service Advisor called yesterday to say my Tahoe was fixed and ready for pick up, and that the "Technician" was completing his test drive. BEFORE I could even get to the dealership the SA called to say there was another warning light issue completely unrelated to the just-completed repair.

No words...

Stay away from these vehicles people. Based upon my research, this is an engineering/design flaw. If it was due to off-spec parts from a supplier, most likely GM would have followed industry procedure, identifying affected vehicles by manufacture date and issuing a recall. The fact that they have not done so speaks volumes. GM's internal technical bulletin specifies that the impacted parts be shipped back to GM Engineering for "evaluation", which suggests they are still in the stages of trying to figure out how to navigate this nightmare. Furthermore, as the prescribed remedy as of now is to only address the affected cylinder bank, if it is indeed an engineering/design issue either with lifter springs or it is related to oil pressure and cylinder deactivation, it is only a matter of time before the failure occurs again.

Rest assured that GM is fully aware of this issue, and their marketing and communications people are closely monitoring social media etc., including this board. They need to come clean to protect what is left of the brand, and need to understand it is only a matter of time before a class action suit is filed (if not already. Thought has crossed my mind I'm so mad). In advance of the inevitable, those of you stuck with these vehicles should fully document everything to support your case.

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One last update. Went to dealer yesterday and told them I wanted them to buy the car. They did. Owned 7 months and 7,400 miles. Got 78k on a MSRP of $79.5k. Sure, I'm out the sales tax, but feel i've dodged a major headache down the road. Don't know whether to attribute the sales price to the vehicle shortage (hardly any Tahoe's on the lot), but was surprised at how accommodating the dealer was. Have to say, the dealer and service department was very helpful and professional over my ownership period. My issue is with the product, which I believe to be fundamentally flawed. The more I learn on these various owner chat boards the more I'm worried about how this will play out for GM.

Good luck everyone. Picked up my new Lincoln Navigator yesterday... Fingers crossed with a Ford Product.

OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is at 10k miles now, got it December 1st. I got $4k off the sticker of $67.6k I wonder what they would offer me? If I could get $66k I would take it for sure since that would basically cost me $1.5k for 10k miles of driving. My brother is waiting on getting a Diesel RST Tahoe and his trade in 2019 Chevy Diesel truck they are offering him more than he paid for it new.

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might be surprised at what they would offer. Friend just had the Porsche Dealership call and offer to buy back a 5 month old Cayenne for what they bought if for. Few high end cars on lots due to chip shortage. Was told by a Ford salesman that Ford has shifted production to lower-end models with less chips. That's why the Ford lots are crammed with XLT's but no King Ranch or Platinum models.

Furthermore, people who can't get or can't afford a new car or truck are searching for clean low mile, and recent model year options. Since the dealers have fewer new cars to sell, they are likely embracing the used car market more.

AngelaBoca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I almost had a heart attack and thought either I got bad gas or the oil change I got from a random shop (was out of town not near a dealer) put the wrong filter or not enough oil when my 2021 Escalade with 6000 miles started up one morning with the same problems. This is insane that they haven’t recalled these cars. $115k later and I’m not going to have my car for how long!!!????

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, in my view a recall wouldn't solve the problem, as it isn't faulty parts that could be replaced. It is likely a faulty design. And if they only replace affected parts on the cylinder bank that is impacted, it can happen again or on the other side.

I wish everyone good luck, and hope GM finds a way to take care of everyone.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your idea does make sense. However, as one of the members here can tell, when you truck just dies in the middle of traffic, it becomes a matter of safety. And since its a known issue, I would almost bet this will turn into a recall, and CA Lawsuit.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't buy a gas V8 ( Especially during the affected time frame..) unless they could prove to me these were ALL replaced with a new supplier or batch of parts BEFORE delivery.... and if the dealer plays dumb or acts unconcerned, I'd show him a few threads off of this and other sites and ask him what you would do if you were the consumer of this highly expensive product and that defects like this are wholly unacceptable...

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5.3, 6.2 and 6.6 engines built from June 1, 2020, to October 7, 2020, only. During that time the supplier was using an incorrect parameter for the valve spring. Most springs fell within the correct specification. But some did not. As a result, this issue will not affect all engines built during that period.
Interesting. Do you have a source for this information?

Norm 427

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The bad valve springs are from June 1, 2020 to Oct 7, 2020. See attached.

I'd like to know the dates for the bad lifters.

Attachments

• Valve Spring Issues.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 10