2021 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, it's crazy how married people are to age old technology. Corvette is a perfect example now. Better performance with paddle shifting and no option for manual stick in the new ones, but there are die hard old timers that curse it. I'll drive one all day...
The Yukon/Tahoe/Esky have been lacking and begging for a paddle shifter option for years - Bring it GM!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run my 2019 YuKon in manual shift mode quite often. Reaching forward to press a button while accelerating or on a bumpy road may cause me to select any gear - reverse maybe? A lever gives me a place to rest or brace my hand. IMOH not everything in a vehicle can or should be reduced to a button (brakes, accelerator steering wheel, turn signal - And shifter.

I drove a 2020 GMC Terrain as my most recent courtesy car which has a push button transmission. I tested it and it doesn't allow shifting gears while in motion, with the exception of neutral and manual mode. Also had an electric activated parking brake. And you could also activate that manually while in motion so it still acted like an emergency brake, too.

It was a little funny to get used to but after a few days it was pretty neat actually.

Also, if your foot is on the brake when you turn off the engine, it automatically engages park.

The push button gear shift does actually save quite a bit of real estate on the console to be honest. And don't forget, I don't really think that there is actually a mechanical connection between our column shifters and the transmission either. Maybe I'm wrong, or it only applies to park, or some combination thereof. It's not like the old days with a cable actuated valve body, is it? The same goes for the drive by wire throttle, although that's fairly old news.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven a new terrain with it...seemed just fine to me.

I also have a Ram with the twist knob...that works just fine for me too.

I have never really understood why people get so butthurt over not have a lever to grab. I could see having to quick-shift it trying to get unstuck may not be possible, but not sure...havnt tried it before.

My 17 Ford Fusion has the shift knob/dial on the deer console. Took a little getting used to (drive home from the dealer). As long as the buttons are not an uncomfortable reach, it will become second nature.

At least it won’t be as bad as when my Dad went from his Volvo 244 to the Peugeot 504. There, everything was the opposite and muscle memory was useless. It was always fun to watch my dad when he turned the wipers on in the Volvo thinking it was the turn signal stalk because the Peugeot had it in the right stalk rather than the left stalk like the rest of the world.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2021 models will utilize a push-button shift selector. This is also utilized on the GMC Terrain and a few other models. This will also be standard on the PPV/SSV models. I've talked to those who have used it and they stated it did feel natural still and won't cause issues like the Ram's huge shifter knob.
I'm currently driving a 2020 Acadia while my Yukon is being broken by the dealership (going on day 10 now). If the new Tahoe / Yukon "push-button" gear selector is anything like the Acadia, then it's a POS and GM needs to find a better option. If I was in the market for something in the class of the Acadia, I'd not buy the Acadia based solely on the gear selector - It's really, really bad.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's broken on your Yukon now?
10 days at the GMC dealer to fix the damage they caused to the interior back in January when they replaced the radio assembly (the secret compartment door was making grinding noises, so the entire unit needed to be replaced). The "technician" that did the work punched a whole in the edge of the passenger side dash cover, scratched the vent to the right of the radio and scratched the brushed metal trim to the left of the radio. Also while there they were supposed to find and fix a "buzz" I get from the right side of the dash when the engine is between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. They also replaced the right rear corner black plastic thing because it was loose. Dealer told me that they replace a lot of these... What I didn't know is that the piece arrives at the dealer flat black and needs to be painted in their body ship to be glass black. After painting the "technician" handled the piece too soon and left his / her finger prints in several spots. I another trip back I guess... And by the way, they did not fix the buzzing in the dashboard so that gives them something else to chase later.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 days at the GMC dealer to fix the damage they caused to the interior back in January when they replaced the radio assembly (the secret compartment door was making grinding noises, so the entire unit needed to be replaced). The "technician" that did the work punched a whole in the edge of the passenger side dash cover, scratched the vent to the right of the radio and scratched the brushed metal trim to the left of the radio. Also while there they were supposed to find and fix a "buzz" I get from the right side of the dash when the engine is between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. They also replaced the right rear corner black plastic thing because it was loose. Dealer told me that they replace a lot of these... What I didn't know is that the piece arrives at the dealer flat black and needs to be painted in their body ship to be glass black. After painting the "technician" handled the piece too soon and left his / her finger prints in several spots. I another trip back I guess... And by the way, they did not fix the buzzing in the dashboard so that gives them something else to chase later.

Ah, I remember that now.

UNOIT

Reaction score
Hopefully it’s been improved by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk