2021 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2021 models will utilize a push-button shift selector. This is also utilized on the GMC Terrain and a few other models. This will also be standard on the PPV/SSV models. I've talked to those who have used it and they stated it did feel natural still and won't cause issues like the Ram's huge shifter knob.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2021 models will utilize a push-button shift selector. This is also utilized on the GMC Terrain and a few other models. This will also be standard on the PPV/SSV models. I've talked to those who have used it and they stated it did feel natural still and won't cause issues like the Ram's huge shifter knob.

I’m sure I could get used to it, if I had to, but there is something about being able to reach for the shift handle, whether it is on the column or on the center console, and be able to blindly shift gears like when I’m backing into traffic and need to keep my eyes on traffic as I shift from reverse to drive. I also think back to the days of learning to rock the car back and forth when stuck and wonder how well I’d do if I had to push buttons instead of using the shift handle.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a fan... In fact so much so that I'd pay the extra money for the Esky just to have a lever.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have driven a new terrain with it...seemed just fine to me.

I also have a Ram with the twist knob...that works just fine for me too.

I have never really understood why people get so butthurt over not have a lever to grab. I could see having to quick-shift it trying to get unstuck may not be possible, but not sure...havnt tried it before.

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have never really understood why people get so butthurt over not have a lever to grab. I could see having to quick-shift it trying to get unstuck may not be possible, but not sure...havnt tried it before.
It's a mental adjustment. Takes me a few days of driving the vehicle before I remember where shift occurs.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mental adjustment. Takes me a few days of driving the vehicle before I remember where shift occurs.

Oh I get the mental part of it. I have a ‘17 half ton ram with the twist knob, and a 3/4 ton Ram with the lever. Its fairly confusing at times for me seeing how the interior is basically identical otherwise.

But, there are people out there who will flat out not even buy a ram now because of the twist knob. My uncle, for example. Its crazy. People will do the same with the push buttons in the gm and chev suv’s too.

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I get the mental part of it. I have a ‘17 half ton ram with the twist knob, and a 3/4 ton Ram with the lever. Its fairly confusing at times for me seeing how the interior is basically identical otherwise.

But, there are people out there who will flat out not even buy a ram now because of the twist knob. My uncle, for example. Its crazy. People will do the same with the push buttons in the gm and chev suv’s too.
Oh yea, it's crazy how married people are to age old technology. Corvette is a perfect example now. Better performance with paddle shifting and no option for manual stick in the new ones, but there are die hard old timers that curse it. I'll drive one all day...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I understand both sides, being a grumpy old anti-change, old school guy and liking new tech as well. We just take longer to come around, preferring not to remove the ancient landmarks.

We rented a new Chrysler Pacifica that had the dial and several times I climbed out of the thing with it still in some gear other than park! Thankfully it just hit curbs.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I understand both sides, being a grumpy old anti-change, old school guy and liking new tech as well. We just take longer to come around, preferring not to remove the ancient landmarks.

We rented a new Chrysler Pacifica that had the dial and several times I climbed out of the thing with it still in some gear other than park! Thankfully it just hit curbs.

Vehicles with a lever shifter will drive away when left in gear too...

But yea, Rams have a safety feature now to prevent that from happening.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I run my 2019 YuKon in manual shift mode quite often. Reaching forward to press a button while accelerating or on a bumpy road may cause me to select any gear - reverse maybe? A lever gives me a place to rest or brace my hand. IMOH not everything in a vehicle can or should be reduced to a button (brakes, accelerator steering wheel, turn signal - And shifter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts