2021 Tahoe RST Abismal mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 Z71 375 miles on the odo

I get ~18 on the way to work 4 miles of backroads then 11 miles of cruise control at 75mph.

I get ~14 on the way home. No idea why it is so different, but its consistent...

So I think I figured out why the mileage is so diffeent...

In the mornings I leave for work when it is dark and cold with the heat on and in the afternoons I drive back in the hottest part of the day with the AC blasting.

It seems that the AC might have a larger impact to mileage than I would expect.

On the upside the AC is really good at keeping the massive interior cool even with the sunroof cover open.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I figured out why the mileage is so diffeent...

In the mornings I leave for work when it is dark and cold with the heat on and in the afternoons I drive back in the hottest part of the day with the AC blasting.

It seems that the AC might have a larger impact to mileage than I would expect.

On the upside the AC is really good at keeping the massive interior cool even with the sunroof cover open.
How about hills? My home is about 200ft elevation above work. So for me, it’s downhill in the AM and uphill in the PM.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
335 ft at work and 348 ft at home, so i would call that the same elevation...

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 6.2Ll and it too, is rough on gas. When I first got it, it would barely get 14 MPG on the highway. It took several miles of driving but it has got better. Now about 20 on the highway and 16+ around town. I have never owned a vehicle that took that long to break in or was as sensitive to your right foot as this one is.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We drove 500 miles on the highway. Wife was going 80 mph, I was around 75mph. The 6.2 turned out 16 mpg. We only have 2500 miles on it so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew