2021 Tahoe HC Transmission failure @600miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the "relearning"for most vehicles, but what I don't understand is we got the Tahoe with 20 miles on it and it was shifting just fine. What I'm trying to say is was it programmed like that from the factory and didn't have to learn our driving habits, or was it trans already starting to slip from the gate? I'm torn on what to believe here. Although I wanted to test out the power of the 6.2, I couldn't because of the break-in period, but even driving normal it didn't shift hard like it does now.
To your point on the fluid, I chuckled when he said better fluid and then I forgot to ask what he meant, but I think I'm going to call back and ask what he meant by that. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It’s possible that it since it initially learned when it had a bad valve body, it was adding line pressure to compensate and now it has a valve body that’s doing its job properly so the added line pressure is causing a hard shift until it re-learns if that makes sense. I know on the older (4l60 etc) transmissions there was supposedly a way to reset the adaptive learning but plenty of times this wasn’t done so when you got a new trans to replace a worn-out one it would shift weird for a bit. Hope things work out, you shouldn’t have to be going through this.

tabraha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely will have to relearn but it usually doesn't take many miles for that to sort out (less than 50, more like 20). I had a Colorado with the 8sp issues and it went through a torque converter and had to relearn. Then it had to have the fluid swapped out for the better fluid to fight the shudder issues with the 8sp that it had originally. When GM changed spec to Mobil1 LV ATF HP it made the trans much better.

FWIW, I have the uprated version of the 10sp in my ZL1 and it is a beast. Probably the best auto trans I've ever seen in a vehicle. Crisp, fast and a helluva brain on it at the track.

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s possible that it since it initially learned when it had a bad valve body, it was adding line pressure to compensate and now it has a valve body that’s doing its job properly so the added line pressure is causing a hard shift until it re-learns if that makes sense. I know on the older (4l60 etc) transmissions there was supposedly a way to reset the adaptive learning but plenty of times this wasn’t done so when you got a new trans to replace a worn-out one it would shift weird for a bit. Hope things work out, you shouldn’t have to be going through this.
I never thought of it that way but it makes total sense that that's why it's shifting hard [emoji1417] thank you!!

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely will have to relearn but it usually doesn't take many miles for that to sort out (less than 50, more like 20). I had a Colorado with the 8sp issues and it went through a torque converter and had to relearn. Then it had to have the fluid swapped out for the better fluid to fight the shudder issues with the 8sp that it had originally. When GM changed spec to Mobil1 LV ATF HP it made the trans much better.

FWIW, I have the uprated version of the 10sp in my ZL1 and it is a beast. Probably the best auto trans I've ever seen in a vehicle. Crisp, fast and a helluva brain on it at the track.
Thank you, I wonder if that's what he meant with the "better" fluid comment, unfortunately or fortunately I've been too busy to call and ask or look at the paperwork. Can't imagine how awesome the trans is in your ZL1. Though,what I think you're suggesting to me is, that I run the Tahoe on the track to help it relearn faster right? [emoji23]/s

tabraha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you're talkin!

But I'm also the same guy who took a 100 series Land Cruiser around the SC Highway Patrol training track... :eek:

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: hello everyone, sorry I haven't been updating on the regular or answering comments, we've been really busy with virtual schooling and other stuff. The trans is really starting to make an improvement with the shifting feel. The one to two shift is still a little rough, but nowhere near as hard shifting as it was. 2 to 3 still isn't as smooth as it was, or can be. 3 on up has made a big improvement where we barely even feel the shifts. We got it back with a 653 miles, and have maybe put 80 to 100 miles on it. Also a first world problem is, the new car smell is a little diminished because they had it parked in the shop for so long and it smells a little like the shop, but I digress. now that things are getting back to normal with it, I'm starting to fall back in love with the car. [emoji1417]

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now you're talkin!

But I'm also the same guy who took a 100 series Land Cruiser around the SC Highway Patrol training track... :eek:
[emoji23] oh man, what a feat and experience that must have been! New addition to the bucket list [emoji1419][emoji1605]

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: hello everyone, sorry I haven't been updating on the regular or answering comments, we've been really busy with virtual schooling and other stuff. The trans is really starting to make an improvement with the shifting feel. The one to two shift is still a little rough, but nowhere near as hard shifting as it was. 2 to 3 still isn't as smooth as it was, or can be. 3 on up has made a big improvement where we barely even feel the shifts. We got it back with a 653 miles, and have maybe put 80 to 100 miles on it. Also a first world problem is, the new car smell is a little diminished because they had it parked in the shop for so long and it smells a little like the shop, but I digress. now that things are getting back to normal with it, I'm starting to fall back in love with the car. [emoji1417]

Great news!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear that my friend. After what I went through with my 15 Suburban, I'm not buying one of these trucks until they work out the issues. The first two years of a redesign always have problems. I hope that's not a sign of more issues with your truck going forward.
Thank you and yes I agree with you about the redesign issues, but our 16 suburban was having trans issues so we I wanted to get rid of it before any catastrophic problems happened. I guess we should have taken that as a sign of things to come [emoji2363] but I'm hopeful nothing else goes wrong [emoji1693]

OP
OP
T

TAHOEpeful

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it is totally disgusting for the amount of money we spent, never had these types of issues with other brands of cars that would he considered high-end such as Audi and BMW [emoji2375] I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on the trans going forward and if I feel the need to I will take it right back and start building a case, thank you for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons