2021 Tahoe engine noise - knocking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Lruelas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, turned it on and got the same noises but this time with a check engine light and a few error codes displaying. Took it back to the dealer and they were able to replicate the noise this time. They said bad lifter, they're going to call back with ETA on turn around time.

OP
OP
L

Lruelas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is 100% the issue with faulty lifters and pushrods that I dealt with on my 2021 Tahoe Premier last summer. It seemed to be a cold start issue at first. I took it in and was told the same thing, despite having an almost identical video. I suspect they knew what it was but were hedging to keep the repair techs from being overwhelmed (and to buy time to get more backordered parts in). I drove it another 1000 miles before they acknowledged the issue was the lifters. By that point, it was making noises all the time and throwing codes. Many manufactured within a certain 3-month range had this issue. Chevrolet tore down the engine and replaced both banks of faulty lifters. I have not trusted the vehicle since.

Search my other posts to find my video and write ups about it. I would not drive it far from home, as you may get stranded. You should be able to take it in now with all the other videos and posts about this. It is a well known issue that I cannot believe they are still pretending they can’t identify right away.

Open a case with GM. They have links to lemon law and warranty teams on their website. Follow your state’s requirements and send them a certified final repair letter at the appropriate point. Mine was out of service for 20 business days in the same year, so it met the statutory definition of lemon in NC. Since I don’t trust mine anymore, GM just recently agreed to replace it.

I’m sorry you are having this issue, as I’ve been there. Part availability has improved, so you might not have quite the delays in repairs that I did. As to whether you trust your Tahoe again, I certainly couldn’t. But I certainly wouldn’t drive it much in that condition if you are planning to keep it after the warranty repairs have been done.
Thanks for the info, sounds like I'm having the same situation with now the check engine light and random error codes. I'm worried about them only replacing lifters but not supporting parts that may have been damaged or wear n tear'd while driving around like this trying to make the noise more consistent. It's sitting at the dealership here in California, this is our first new car and quite annoying to be dealing with this at only 9k miles.

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new LS motors in these vehicles are pure dog excrement. That is why I pitched a fit when my wife wanted a newer suburban. We went with a chevy traverse instead.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, sounds like I'm having the same situation with now the check engine light and random error codes. I'm worried about them only replacing lifters but not supporting parts that may have been damaged or wear n tear'd while driving around like this trying to make the noise more consistent. It's sitting at the dealership here in California, this is our first new car and quite annoying to be dealing with this at only 9k miles.
Sorry to hear that. I’ve been there and am still waiting on my replacement to be built. I would definitely recommend reading up on CA’s lemon laws and maybe even having a free consult with a local lemon law attorney to make sure you’re documenting everything the right way and protecting your rights in case they can’t repair it to your satisfaction.

Reaction score
Hello,
My 2021 Tahoe SRT 5.3L started making this knocking or clanking sound in the engine (video below), mostly does it on cold starts for 1 minute, then it somewhat goes away, you can sometimes hear a random clank while driving, car almost stutters a little when it does. At some points I can feel the car shaking a bit as if it has a mild cam.

Took it to dealership but they couldn't replicate it, said to look for patterns or ways to replicate it. Does anyone know what this might be or had similar problem?

That sounds way deeper than a lifter. Maybe you could contact GM directly and have them encourage your dealer to do something? Pressure from above? I'm assuming you have your maintenance records to prove the truck hasn't been abused?

Kadenf87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2023 Yukon at4 xl First 800mi heard slight tick 1300 mi wife sends a video of very loud sounding like failure lifter or something internal Guess I’m heading to the dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99TahoeTruckster

Latest posts