2021 Tahoe Braking performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Yukon 22 with less than 1000 mile, went downhill a mountain that is 10 miles long. I found it very difficult to stop or get the Yukon to slow below 20 mph. I had to use low gear to help and I got a waring message on the cluster saying that brakes are over heating, comparing it to Nissan armada 2017, the Armada was light years better in the same situation. I was really scared I will not make it safely. good thing I was not towing a trailer.
I will not trust it again until I figure out what's wrong. View attachment 370534

Ok so many factors here. What was the first 1000 miles of driving like? Did you drive mostly on the highway and the brakes never had a chance to bed in? Did you ride the brakes the whole way down? Did you use a lower gear to assist slowing by engine braking? You know different cars automatically engine brake on decent does your Armada do that?

I race cars in WRL and Champcar, I have a car with big brakes and on a 10 mile downhill I know I could overheat even that car if I did it all wrong. Constant braking heats everything up with no chance to cool off.

lawbet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so many factors here. What was the first 1000 miles of driving like? Did you drive mostly on the highway and the brakes never had a chance to bed in? Did you ride the brakes the whole way down? Did you use a lower gear to assist slowing by engine braking? You know different cars automatically engine brake on decent does your Armada do that?

I race cars in WRL and Champcar, I have a car with big brakes and on a 10 mile downhill I know I could overheat even that car if I did it all wrong. Constant braking heats everything up with no chance to cool off.
What was the first 1000 miles of driving like? City driving and highways. I remember having no issue braking or slowing down in normal condition.

Did you drive mostly on the highway and the brakes never had a chance to bed in? I don't believe this was the issue, wear indicator was at 97% and was 100% when I bought the car.

Did you ride the brakes the whole way down? most of the time.

Did you use a lower gear to assist slowing by engine braking? yes, manually

You know different cars automatically engine brake on decent does your Armada do that? with the armada I did not need engine braking. as soon as I hit the brake it will literally stop, i have to release brake so the car would move. in the Yukon, it just mildly slows down.

Reaction score
FWIW, I had to emergency braking situations in my 22 z71 this last week. First one an old lady (just facts) turned left into our lane(truly don’t think she saw us), and the other situation a driver stopped in middle of the road with no turn signal. Had to aggressively brake both times and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better the brakes performed compared to my 18 Yukon Denali. Able to avoid an accident in both situations, so I’m giving the factory set up 5 stars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu