2021 Denali air suspension or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ang2bmd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a z71 which I don't think has it and I think it rides fine. Drives as well or better than the Acadia i was driving before

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sheltn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know why you are required to order the 22 in wheels when you add the air ride suspension? I’d rather just have the 20s with the air ride!

Gibberiv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is what I know. I have both systems. Air ride is better. The air ride system failed on mile 650. Stayed in the shop 7 weeks. Drove it 300 more miles and it failed again. Front right strut goes down. First time, I ended up destroying the strut before I could get it to the dealer. This is not like the old system with a strut and spring in the front. If the strut fails, you still have the spring. This thing has four coffee can sized struts. It fails, it goes to the frame. Another thing, its a closed system. There is a 290 psi reservoir that holds the nitrogen and the compressor pumps it back and forth to the struts or it leaks back into the reservoir. Destroying the strut caused it to lose the nitrogen. Dealer did not have the fitting, tools or nitrogen yet to work on it since mine was the first it had sold. Plus rebuilding the strut took weeks getting parts. I dropped it off this morning. Strut was intact and the nitrogen was still present. They were going to put it on the computer when I left. He also mentioned that when he searched my VIN, the front left strut had been replaced at mile 3 before I picked it up. My wifes valves are beginning to rattle on my other one. There were 2 in the shop with 5k miles having valves replaced.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I know. I have both systems. Air ride is better. The air ride system failed on mile 650. Stayed in the shop 7 weeks. Drove it 300 more miles and it failed again. Front right strut goes down. First time, I ended up destroying the strut before I could get it to the dealer. This is not like the old system with a strut and spring in the front. If the strut fails, you still have the spring. This thing has four coffee can sized struts. It fails, it goes to the frame. Another thing, its a closed system. There is a 290 psi reservoir that holds the nitrogen and the compressor pumps it back and forth to the struts or it leaks back into the reservoir. Destroying the strut caused it to lose the nitrogen. Dealer did not have the fitting, tools or nitrogen yet to work on it since mine was the first it had sold. Plus rebuilding the strut took weeks getting parts. I dropped it off this morning. Strut was intact and the nitrogen was still present. They were going to put it on the computer when I left. He also mentioned that when he searched my VIN, the front left strut had been replaced at mile 3 before I picked it up. My wifes valves are beginning to rattle on my other one. There were 2 in the shop with 5k miles having valves replaced.
My concern with the air ride system is that when it fails, you're vehicle is almost an immovable monument of fail. If an MRC shock/strut with a traditional spring fails, you can still drive and tolerate it being less comfortable.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like most things, it depends on your priorities. Air ride is great if you don't plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, but it is a wear item. Four rubber bags exposed to mud, crud, water, road grime, heat, freezing, etc. means eventual failure. I voted no because I'm pretty sure I'll have this Yukon well past the warranty period. Magneride and coils are on mine. Had to order it though. Seems dealers weren't stocking Denali trim with Dmax, coils, 20's, and a glass free roof. Go figure.

Last edited: