2021 Chev Tahoe Z71 Engine Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afishinado

Reaction score
Burned Out....
So, I decide for my 70th B-Day, I am going to treat myself to a brand new Tahoe... I've had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation. They've all been great. For the last 25 years just about all my cars (not just the Tahoes) were formerly rental cars, current year to one year old with some factory warranty... This time, I'm getting a new one, just the way I want it, mostly because I love what they did with the 21.. Then my 85lb Great Pyrenees needs a ACL surgery, couldn't jump into the Tahoe (needed a ramp). Has the operation, recovers for 10 weeks, all is well or so I thought. Bring her in for her final check up, I ask the doc if she's good to go jumping in the Tahoe "20% Of the time, once they blow one out, they blow out the other, I wouldn't..." So there went my Tahoe in one quick sentence from the surgeon. Not going through another 12+ week ordeal (not to mention $5000 again if I can help it) So, I start looking at alternatives, really don't need to pull much or often.. So I'm looking Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc... Landed on the Lincoln Aviator, that'll work. Spent over a week trying to buy one (I'm in Florida and need AWD & tow pkg) I got jerked around so bad by 4 different dealers trying to buy a car, I gave up. Wife sez, even if you get something else, you gotta use the ramp. WHAT? Went to the local Chevy dealer, was just going to buy my Tahoe! Got talking to a guy in the lot, he has a '21 very unhappy.. Pointed out three 21's sitting in back behind the shop, all waiting for weeks for repairs. Claimed 20-21's are now called Pandemic cars.... Took my trusty '12 in the shop, new torque converter, AC service, new tires, ordered a new seat cushion and cover. Decided in a year I'll revisit the whole new car thing..

Last edited:

Poolfontaine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have one of the new Z-71 Tahoe’s. No engine problems yet. Using it to pull a 30’ ~7500 lb trailer (max weight) so we will see how to goes. Handles fine so far. The airbags and weight distribution bars make the ride so smooth.

I’ve gone off-roading a few times and no problems yet. Only have about 4K miles.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burned Out....
So, I decide for my 70th B-Day, I am going to treat myself to a brand new Tahoe... I've had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation. They've all been great. For the last 25 years just about all my cars (not just the Tahoes) were formerly rental cars, current year to one year old with some factory warranty... This time, I'm getting a new one, just the way I want it, mostly because I love what they did with the 21.. Then my 85lb Great Pyrenees needs a ACL surgery, couldn't jump into the Tahoe (needed a ramp). Has the operation, recovers for 10 weeks, all is well or so I thought. Bring her in for her final check up, I ask the doc if she's good to go jumping in the Tahoe "20% Of the time, once they blow one out, they blow out the other, I wouldn't..." So there went my Tahoe in one quick sentence from the surgeon. Not going through another 12+ week ordeal (not to mention $5000 again if I can help it) So, I start looking at alternatives, really don't need to pull much or often.. So I'm looking Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc... Landed on the Lincoln Aviator, that'll work. Spent over a week trying to buy one (I'm in Florida and need AWD & tow pkg) I got jerked around so bad by 4 different dealers trying to buy a car, I gave up. Wife sez, even if you get something else, you gotta use the ramp. WHAT? Went to the local Chevy dealer, was just going to buy my Tahoe! Got talking to a guy in the lot, he has a '21 very unhappy.. Pointed out three 21's sitting in back behind the shop, all waiting for weeks for repairs. Claimed 20-21's are now called Pandemic cars.... Took my trusty '12 in the shop, new torque converter, AC service, new tires, ordered a new seat cushion and cover. Decided in a year I'll revisit the whole new car thing..

You made the right move Mike! The work you did on your Tahoe was worth every penny. The 2012-2014 Tahoe's were one of the best Tahoe's made. IMHO you are better off with your 5.3 V8 then the 3.0 in the Aviator.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burned Out....
Good move!!!!!!! Mine was in the shop over a month. GM is having major issues with getting parts from their vendors along with major quality issues from their vendors. Pending on the amount of my Lemon Law settlement we will most likely bail on GM until they get their act together.

Sumfknguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Tahoe LT here. Just under 5K miles, 2 months into ownership. Engine knock/misfire. Had it towed to the dealer and just got the news. Cyl 7 bent pushrod/collapsed lifter. I read where others with the 21's have had their dealer replace all 16 lifters, pushrods, guides and all as the folks that had only the bank of 4 replaced had the issues on the others shortly after. My local dealership is doing this for me. So if you happen to have this issue, push back if they only want to do part of the replacement. Another issue is backordered parts. My dealer says its a 1 day maybe 2 with parts in-hand. Getting the parts is the delay.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14363

afishinado

Reaction score
FF to today... Life is all about how you handle plan 'B'... After I spent the $$ fixing up my Tahoe, I happened to take a ride in a friends 21 Wrangler Sahara. I have a 97 TJ (my rock crawling toy) and 17 JKU (which my bride has taken over), so now I have a JL Sahara. If I love the JL great, if I don't I'll trade it. I realize it is a whole different vehicle, but I knew that going in.... BTW, it's pretty darn nice.

G-Frog

Reaction score
2021 Tahoe LT here. Just under 5K miles, 2 months into ownership. Engine knock/misfire. Had it towed to the dealer and just got the news. Cyl 7 bent pushrod/collapsed lifter. I read where others with the 21's have had their dealer replace all 16 lifters, pushrods, guides and all as the folks that had only the bank of 4 replaced had the issues on the others shortly after. My local dealership is doing this for me. So if you happen to have this issue, push back if they only want to do part of the replacement. Another issue is backordered parts. My dealer says its a 1 day maybe 2 with parts in-hand. Getting the parts is the delay.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14363
Thank you for the link. My dealer only seems to fix my 2021 Yukon when I show him posts or links like yours. They fixed my ceiling liner clips issue when I showed them a post and link I found from another member on this forum.

Fortunately, I haven't had the lifter issue "yet", but I'm getting prepared.

Thank you all for sharing.

afishinado

Reaction score
So far not sorry I bought yet another Wrangler, only have a couple hundred miles on it. But every time a new Tahoe goes by, it gets a look, a new Z71 gets me the old buyers remorse feeling ;) That said, I'm blessed at this age, if I feel like it, I'll just get one! That makes it a lot easier.

Oh.. To fill the :boti: void, bought a little fun thing. Wife has been after me to find an olld 'farm truck' ever since we bought this property in SD. Found this on FB Marketplace in western Wyoming for $10k 1969, 292 six, 4 speed (3 w/granny gear).. Not restoring, driving as is, runs like a Timex. She loves it.
69 c:10 28may21.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV