2020 Tahoe Max Trailering Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Tahoe LT 4WD 5.3 V8 that did not come with the Max Towing Package - MHT, which I am now looking to upgrade aftermarket since the dealerships seem hesitant to do it. I don't understand why not but that's another story.

When changing between the package options on the chevy website, the only difference appears to be the change in rear axle gear ratio from 3.08 to 3.42, an added air leveler to the suspension, and the integrated trailer brake controller system. No mention of auxiliary engine oil or transmission coolers.

Another detail that I've come across is the mention of a 9.76" rear axle which I don't know if it's stock in mine or not. This might explain the GVWR jump between those without the MHT and those with it.

Is anyone familiar with what all the components that would need to be changed to perform this upgrade to match the factory?

Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Tahoe LT 4WD 5.3 V8 that did not come with the Max Towing Package - MHT, which I am now looking to upgrade aftermarket since the dealerships seem hesitant to do it. I don't understand why not but that's another story.

When changing between the package options on the chevy website, the only difference appears to be the change in rear axle gear ratio from 3.08 to 3.42, an added air leveler to the suspension, and the integrated trailer brake controller system. No mention of auxiliary engine oil or transmission coolers.

Another detail that I've come across is the mention of a 9.76" rear axle which I don't know if it's stock in mine or not. This might explain the GVWR jump between those without the MHT and those with it.

Is anyone familiar with what all the components that would need to be changed to perform this upgrade to match the factory?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Jeff. You can go to AAMs website and find out which axle you have, demandaam.com You can find it in their pdf catalogs. The trailer brake controller is near impossible to install as it is truly integrated. But, I think I saw a post over at the GM-Trucks forum where I fella added it to his pickup truck and was plug and play. I do not remember if this was a K2 or a T1 body, it really cannot be done to a GMT900.

Adding the compressor and leveling components might not be worth the headache, let alone the near impossibility of programming your computers to get it all working and integrated. Most guys eventually convert to the simple suspension anyway to save money when those things wear out.

OP
OP
J

Jeff_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply swath. I'm also working on getting the RPO codes to help dig into this more.

One question that you may be able to answer is about the GVWR. The max towing package model has an increased GVWR for the vehicle. Would this be mainly due to the upgraded suspension, the different axle, or an actual difference in the body/frame of the vehicle. I've read elsewhere (i think on this forum) that just because you add components which max the upgraded package, your not actually changing the GVWR. I don't understand this. Is it just a legal issue, or is the capacity of the vehicle not increased for some reason?

-Jeff

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply swath. I'm also working on getting the RPO codes to help dig into this more.

One question that you may be able to answer is about the GVWR. The max towing package model has an increased GVWR for the vehicle. Would this be mainly due to the upgraded suspension, the different axle, or an actual difference in the body/frame of the vehicle. I've read elsewhere (i think on this forum) that just because you add components which max the upgraded package, your not actually changing the GVWR. I don't understand this. Is it just a legal issue, or is the capacity of the vehicle not increased for some reason?

-Jeff

It has to do with legality Jeff. On the other hand, we can register and pay for our vehicles to pull a certain weight and as long as we have paper from the government, we can pull up to that amount! LOL

Yours should be 7,400 pounds. The only ones higher are the Escalade and Denali AWD Hybrids at 7,500 pounds. Curiously, our front axles are rated for 3600 pounds but the Avalanches are rated for 3800 and yet they are no different (as far as I've been able to tell)! Curiosities.

Which RPOs do you need?

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff01- You cannot change the GVWR by adding components. That is set at the factory by the OEM based on the installed components. What weight are you planning on towing?

I actually prefer air bags for trailering. They really help smooth the ride out.

OP
OP
J

Jeff_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Avalon. The camper I would like to tow has a dry weight of ~4,000 lbs with a max loaded weight of ~5,300lbs. The hitch weight on the car appears to be ~500lbs.

Considering the curb weight of my Tahoe is ~5,500 after I add weight for full tank of gas + passengers + hitch weight I start to approach that 7,400 GVWR. I feel comfortable that I likely won’t exceed it but also wouldn’t mind the added comfort of upgrading my suspension etc to give me more wiggle room so to speak.

With the max tow package I think the GVWR bumps to 8,100 which is where I’d like to be from a structural standpoint.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Avalon. The camper I would like to tow has a dry weight of ~4,000 lbs with a max loaded weight of ~5,300lbs. The hitch weight on the car appears to be ~500lbs.

Considering the curb weight of my Tahoe is ~5,500 after I add weight for full tank of gas + passengers + hitch weight I start to approach that 7,400 GVWR. I feel comfortable that I likely won’t exceed it but also wouldn’t mind the added comfort of upgrading my suspension etc to give me more wiggle room so to speak.

With the max tow package I think the GVWR bumps to 8,100 which is where I’d like to be from a structural standpoint.

Curb weight includes a full tank of fuel. Hitch capacity is 600 pounds without a Weight Distribution Hitch and 1,000 or 1,100 pounds depending on the year with one.

All you really need to add are air bags in the springs and if you have the Z55 suspension, the shocks will take care of that. Without the Max Trailering Package, your main issue is getting rid of heat, you may be lacking the external engine oil cooler, external transmission cooler, possibly the bigger fans. You'll want to remove the thermostat for your transmission to get the temperatures down.

OP
OP
J

Jeff_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, it came with the trailering equipment package standard
It has to do with legality Jeff. On the other hand, we can register and pay for our vehicles to pull a certain weight and as long as we have paper from the government, we can pull up to that amount! LOL

Yours should be 7,400 pounds. The only ones higher are the Escalade and Denali AWD Hybrids at 7,500 pounds. Curiously, our front axles are rated for 3600 pounds but the Avalanches are rated for 3800 and yet they are no different (as far as I've been able to tell)! Curiosities.

Which RPOs do you need?

I was looking to compare the builds for my VIN vs one with the max trailering package to see what the differences are, mainly addons for air suspension, axle, and transmission cooler.

I am going to have a shop do all the work just wanted to be able to go in somewhat informed.

Both you and Avalon have been very helpful for someone who knows essentially nothing about this world.

OP
OP
J

Jeff_01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curb weight includes a full tank of fuel. Hitch capacity is 600 pounds without a Weight Distribution Hitch and 1,000 or 1,100 pounds depending on the year with one.

All you really need to add are air bags in the springs and if you have the Z55 suspension, the shocks will take care of that. Without the Max Trailering Package, your main issue is getting rid of heat, you may be lacking the external engine oil cooler, external transmission cooler, possibly the bigger fans. You'll want to remove the thermostat for your transmission to get the temperatures down.

I had considered this but possibly as a future upgrade if I wanted to add more tow weight, along with a gear upgrade as well. Would it be that necessary if I’m going to stay within factory specs for my current model?

My goal is to somewhat just boost what I have for an added safety factor, not because I plan to exceed any of the current load ratings. My budget is 1-2k labor and parts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be that necessary if I’m going to stay within factory specs for my current model?

My goal is to somewhat just boost what I have for an added safety factor, not because I plan to exceed any of the current load ratings. My budget is 1-2k labor and parts.

No to your first question, GM designed it to handle it. But adding the coolers aids with longevity by keeping things cooler too.