2020 Tahoe lack of back up camera quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BamaTom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2701F2BD-271A-4FE5-B608-76CFB04E889C.jpeg I mean it’s 2020! I get a new company Terrain every 50k miles. I’ve had 4 and Acadias before that. My 2019 Terrain has an awesome camera. It’s not as good as the wife’s 2016 convertible e550 and almost any crap renta car you get today. Why has GM dropped the ball on quality.
I’m 60 and this is the first Chevy I’ve bought in my life. Always wanted a Tahoe.
But good God the back up camera sucks.
My daughter ordered a new Bronco and her camera is beyond sharp.

With my 2020, is there an easy HiDef camera that can be swapped out. Or does it require a new screen and massive wire harness headaches?

I’m blown away America builds crap like this. Like what did GM save? A $100 bucks?

Well my 17 year old will get this one. I still want a Mercedes pick up. The wife freaks everytime I say that.

I’m sure this is a reoccurring topic. Any one venture down this path or just gave up?

MIKMAN68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have a 2020 Tahoe and my camera sucks. Its blurry, distorted and backing up at night its even worse. I have to hold my hand over the screen because it so bright I cant look at the side mirrors to see. I talked to the dealership and they are finally going to change it out, but I asked if they can upgrade to the High Definition camera. They said it wasn't available.....????? Just update the software!!!!!!

Ryan212

Reaction score
glad I am not the only one who had the unusable backup camera at night with mine, that and when it rains there is always raindrops on my camera making it useless. My wife's 2014 ford edge works much better.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone finds a solution to the crappy backup camera please post it. The camera on my 2019 Tahoe is worthless at night or in rainy weather. I added super bright LED floods under the rear bumper, which helps some but the image is still pitiful. My buddy’s new F-150 has an unbelievably clear, bright screen image (plus a 12” screen!). My Tahoe cost more than his truck. Even my kid’s small SUVs have far better cameras.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone finds a solution to the crappy backup camera please post it. The camera on my 2019 Tahoe is worthless at night or in rainy weather. I added super bright LED floods under the rear bumper, which helps some but the image is still pitiful. My buddy’s new F-150 has an unbelievably clear, bright screen image (plus a 12” screen!). My Tahoe cost more than his truck. Even my kid’s small SUVs have far better cameras.
Yea same. My daughters little GLA reverse cam is so much crisper than mine. Mine at night looks like it was shot with an old flip phone camera. I keep my dash brightness pretty much all the way down at night but when I’m parking in my driveway or a particularly dark place I turn it all the way up just for those few seconds. That and the mega bright reverse LEDs I use helps a bit. Would be nice to oem-swap it out for a better cam though

OhioRiver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem. My 2020 Tahoe Premier has a terrible rear backup camera. When it rains it is totally worthless. How can I upgrade?

BeautyInBeastMode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the first GM vehicle I've owned as I always wanted a Tahoe/Yukon. Previously owned Fords. This backup camera makes me wish I would've gotten an Expedition almost everytime I drive it. I've had thoughts of contacting a local custom shop to see if they could install a Ford camera with the sprayer, and figure out a way to upgrade the screen resolution, but lord knows how much that would be if even possible. For the price we pay for this dang thing, we should be able to read the part number on the headlights on the vehicle behind me. Has anybody done anything to help other than LED reverse lights?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are replacement cameras that are better than OEM but unless the ordered the HD system, it will never compare the the Benz.

Have you made sure the lens is clean? I have to say I have no issues with my 2019 Yukon, the pic is fine but doesn't compare the the wife's BMW either.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are replacement cameras that are better than OEM but unless the ordered the HD system, it will never compare the the Benz.

Have you made sure the lens is clean? I have to say I have no issues with my 2019 Yukon, the pic is fine but doesn't compare the the wife's BMW either.
The back-up camera in my 2019 Tahoe is worthless in low light conditions and just okay in daylight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt