2020 6.2 AFM Delete???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will get the 2020 does soon, it didn't take them long to unlock this 2019
DSC_1113_zpsihozqaue.jpg

DSC_1113_zpsihozqaue.jpg

And Callaway took care of this one, with warranty
2019%20Callaway%20Tahoe%201231_zpsh51gdnzy.jpg

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disabling the AFM/DFM does not get rid of the parts that may fail. It just keeps them activating but in reality this is not recommended as Black Bear states.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disabling the AFM/DFM does not get rid of the parts that may fail. It just keeps them activating but in reality this is not recommended as Black Bear states.
I thought BlackBear didn't recommend because of MPG concerns.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are not able to tune the 2020 vehicles. We use EFI Live for tuning. Also on a side note, we would not recommend disabling the AFM, or DFM, on the 14 and newer vehicles, it is typically a fuel save now, so we would only suggest disabling it if you have heavy wheels/tires or can't tolerate the sound with your exhaust.

with the 14 and newer vehicles AFM is typically a fuel saver now. The 07-13 vehicles with AFM, those years are the ones that had the major issues, they reworked it for the 14 and newer. That being said, it is still the one of most requested changes, a lot of people still cant stand it, everyone has a their preference, I actually have 14 5.3 and have it disabled, I am not really worried about the mpg side, I am getting smiles per gallon!

I think it might be worth clarifying what Blackbear is throwing down... Blackbear is simply clarifying that the AFM on the 07-13 vehicles was problematic and really wasn't that much of a fuel saver at all. However, the AFM on the 14+ GM Trucks/SUV's actually does offer a fuel savings (Though incremental IMO) and therefore if MPG's are a concern would not recommend disabling it. That being said there are many owners that don't care about MPG's and therefore would prefer it be disabled no matter what and Blackbear is happy to do so with their tune.

I would also like to add. I have been running the Range AFM Disabler on my '15 Yukon Denali XL for almost 2 years and I still had the #7 lifter failure occur. The repair was covered under my GM Powertrain warranty since I was only at 80K and the dealership replaced the entire AFM mechanical system to include all the lifters, VLOM, etc.

So as previously mentioned by other members; Disabling AFM via a tune or Range type module does not mean you are escaping potential mechanical failure. It might be reduced due to the lack of V4 to V8 engagement, but all the same mechanical weak points are still there and can fail.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will get the 2020 does soon, it didn't take them long to unlock this 2019
DSC_1113_zpsihozqaue.jpg

DSC_1113_zpsihozqaue.jpg

And Callaway took care of this one, with warranty
2019%20Callaway%20Tahoe%201231_zpsh51gdnzy.jpg
Can I marry your daughter (and borrow the keys)?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ponylane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure why no one else has posted the OBD2 plug in module made by Diablosport (a subsidiary of Holley). Their Model S1000 eliminates the 8-4-8 switching without any change to the computer's programming. I have been running this module in my 2020 RST Tahoe with no issue for the past 2500 miles and have seen very little if any change in millage. The only issue is that there will be a slight drain on the battery if left plugged in...no problem if you run the truck every day. If not there is a switched extension cord available on the net that will allow the unit to be turned off at will. Got one, and it works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu