2019 Yukon Xl Denali Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just traded in my 2016 Yukon XL Denali for a 2019. The new 2019 has a whining noise. Almost sounds like a turbo. Gets louder when I rev the motor. I would swear it’s a loud turbo. Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else have this noise? Almost sound likes towards the rear like maybe the exhaust. Not sure.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just traded in my 2016 Yukon XL Denali for a 2019. The new 2019 has a whining noise. Almost sounds like a turbo. Gets louder when I rev the motor. I would swear it’s a loud turbo. Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else have this noise? Almost sound likes towards the rear like maybe the exhaust. Not sure.
My 19 has 2500 miles.... no noise on mine. Not sure if the 16 had it but there are some ‘active shutters’ in the grill but I doubt that’s your noise.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The 2016 did not have it. This sounds exactly like a turbo. Like if you didn’t know better you would think it was a turbo. At first I thought it was engine noise coming through one of my rear speakers. Had people ride back there and it’s not the speakers. Louder with the window down.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure its under the hood and not under the car (transmission)

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2019 does the same. My wife actually asked me if it has a turbo! We traded up from a 5.3 Suburban, and this new Denali will “turbo whistle” at 1800-2000 RPM when cold. It goes away after a mile or so.

I think it sounds great, but know it’s not right. Is it a sealing issue with the 4cyl mode exhaust flapper? I have seen the cross-over pipe under the transmission is squashed into a very tight oval so it doesn’t protrude below the crossmember. Is this because of a fitment issue with the new 10 spd? I could see this squished pipe causing some turbulence and noise.
Curious how many others have this issue??
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULLITT65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking the flaps or active shutters as well, since that is a newer idea incorporated into the new models. Wouldn't the 16' have had the 4 cylinder crossover pipe as well? or are you saying it has a different bend because the 10 speed vs. the 16' 8 speed?

On a separate note other than the noise, is there much of a difference with the 19' ? is the 10 speed that much better, or do you get that much better milage?

(I have a 16' Yukon Denali XL , which I drive around town mostly and I get about 16.5, to 17 MPG on average. I am sure if I had more freeway driving incorporated, it would bump up the MPG, but I have been happy with it. )

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the crossover pipe is different and likely is squashed into an oval because the 10spd is a bit larger package. Just my thoughts.

I can’t say much for mileage because it hasn’t been above 10degF since I bought it in January.

I can say that I absolutely love the 10 spd. It always seems to be in the right gear so that I have great throttle response and tons of power. The bottom 4 or 5 gears are stepped pretty close together, like only 300-400 rpm, and it shifts so fast it is almost unnoticeable. It is just always ready to “pounce” at in town speeds. Seems to stay in the 1500-1800 rpm range, instead of drooping down to 800 rpm like the old 4 speed trans used to do at slow speeds.

I’m very impressed with the programming of this transmission. GM got it right. I was afraid it would be a jumbly mess, and get confused what gear to be in. I’ve drove some Chryslers with their 9 spd and they never seemed to be in the right gear at slow speeds. Always choppy, searching for the right gear.

This 10spd is so smooth and shifts so quick it almost feels like a CVT without the high rpm screaming that CVTs have.
I strongly recommend upgrading to the 10spd if you have the option!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whining on increase in throttle can be a bearing, vacuum leak or belt. It’s so new it makes me wonder if it’s the active noise cancellation in the audio syst or the SAI or secondary air pump screaming to feed the cats air to heat them up. There are quite a few having this occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts