2019 Yukon Transmission Cooler options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topaq

Reaction score
Has anyone put on an aftermarket trans cooler on a newer Tahoe or Yukon? I have a 2019 Denali 6.2L with a "CombiCooler" radiator that has the portion for the A/C radiator and a portion for the trans cooler. Looks to be pretty large, especially compared to the little ones in the older models. Still, I have problems with the trans fluid getting pretty hot while towing my trailer up the mountains. Was thinking about a separate cooler such as a TruCool or Mishimoto but after seeing the size of the cooler that I currently have I'm not sure it would provide much inprovement. Maybe adding fans in front?

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if your transmission has the thermostat like the 6L80 does, but if it does, flip the pill in it. My transmission runs so much cooler now with normal driving. And even towing 5000+lbs going up and over large mountain grades, the trans never goes above 180 now. Prior to the pill flip, it would get to the 190's just driving to Costco and back home, and then 210 in traffic.

Other than that, sorry - no personal experience with coolers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can fit a trucool in, it's tight but will work, you will just have a trim a small piece of the shutter blade so the cooler will not interrupt the shutter movement
the lines can be ran through the trim on the passenger side this will require drilling a couple holes in the plastic, if you want to use the trucool in series with the oem cooler then you will need to make a small pipe fitting I just used the piece I cut off the oem line and used a flare tool on it.

I made a few notes about in my build page 25

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if your transmission has the thermostat like the 6L80 does, but if it does, flip the pill in it. My transmission runs so much cooler now with normal driving. And even towing 5000+lbs going up and over large mountain grades, the trans never goes above 180 now. Prior to the pill flip, it would get to the 190's just driving to Costco and back home, and then 210 in traffic.

This ^^^^

You can put the biggest cooler in there and if you don't flip the transmission thermostat, it's still going to run at 195. Quick job, easy peasy and the price is right too!

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a Mishimoto Trans cooler and love it. It is by far the most perfectly engineered cooler on the market. Totally plug and play with no extra parts to buy. It's not cheap but it is unbeatable. With the pill in the trans thermostat replaced with the pill that comes with the cooler the trans temp rarely goes above 150 degrees.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This ^^^^

You can put the biggest cooler in there and if you don't flip the transmission thermostat, it's still going to run at 195. Quick job, easy peasy and the price is right too!
Is flipping the pill simply pulling the thermostat out and flipping it upside down and reinstalling?

And if so, is this for all 6l80s for just certain years? Both my van (6.0 and 6l80e) and Denali (6.2 and I think 6l80) are due for trans service within the year. I want to do this to both of them

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is flipping the pill simply pulling the thermostat out and flipping it upside down and reinstalling?

And if so, is this for all 6l80s for just certain years? Both my van (6.0 and 6l80e) and Denali (6.2 and I think 6l80) are due for trans service within the year. I want to do this to both of them
I believe 2015+ 6L80's have this thermostat. And yes, just take it out, flip it, and put it back in.
That way it forces the fluid to circulate and stay cooler.

f16z28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I added a Mishimoto Trans cooler and love it. It is by far the most perfectly engineered cooler on the market. Totally plug and play with no extra parts to buy. It's not cheap but it is unbeatable. With the pill in the trans thermostat replaced with the pill that comes with the cooler the trans temp rarely goes above 150 degrees.
Do you have the part number ?

tuffguy23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone put on an aftermarket trans cooler on a newer Tahoe or Yukon? I have a 2019 Denali 6.2L with a "CombiCooler" radiator that has the portion for the A/C radiator and a portion for the trans cooler. Looks to be pretty large, especially compared to the little ones in the older models. Still, I have problems with the trans fluid getting pretty hot while towing my trailer up the mountains. Was thinking about a separate cooler such as a TruCool or Mishimoto but after seeing the size of the cooler that I currently have I'm not sure it would provide much inprovement. Maybe adding fans in front?
You might need to update the transmission cooler thermostat device. Here is the GM TSB that shows the change that lowers the temp from about 190 to about 158. Mine runs about 160 all the time.

Attachments

• TRANS_THERMAL_BYPASS_TSB.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts