2019 Yukon Key Fob Range Blows...What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLupini

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now if only there was a way for the remote start to last longer than the two ***** 12 min cycles...

Check out BCM tuning from WAMS:

I have 20 min on the first cycle now. You can go longer if you have ECM tuning too.

I joined because the fob range on my Tahoe sucked as well. Going to order a new antenna today. Hopefully that’ll fix mine too.

DLupini

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took a look at the amp in the car.

99A680AF-466A-4342-A5E5-8B155A1E596F.jpeg

None of the part numbers available on rockauto match mine. Decided to order from GMpartsdirect.com instead. Gave them my VIN, so hopefully they send me the correct part. Part was the same price, shipping was a little more but worth it if it fits.

Kay117

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All -

Had the same issue with our 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT where the remote would not reach until I was 10ft away from vehicle. Trying to remote start it in the mornings was a hassle especially when it was freezing outside.

Ordered the Antenna Amplifier from RockAuto and installed it yesterday. Took a while to find it because I thought it was under the headliner right above the tailgate glass on the passenger's side, but was finally able to put eyes on it when we removed the headliner over the rear passenger's SIDE window. I thought the plastic piece that covers that rear speaker had clips like everything else did, however, I ended up pulling it and the piece ripped/broke off easily from where it was glued I suppose.

After swapping out the Antenna Amplifier and putting everything back...tested it out and was able to unlock/lock/remote start from the back of the house while it was parked in front of the house at the end of the driveway. So far, that seems to have solved the poor range issue. Also, went back with clear double-sided tape where that plastic rear side panel ripped to see if it will hold it to where it looks flush again.

18RST6point2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My new 2019 Yukon key fob range is terrible. Literally 1/3 the distance of my 2018 Sierra. Almost makes the remote start worthless. Both key fobs have the same issue. The truck came off the assembly line in April and I bought it new in early June so unless they use old batteries at the factory here in Texas it's got new batteries too.

First world problems...but do you think this is something the dealership is going to be annoying about correcting?

Shouldn't the Yukon Key Fob be similar distance to my truck???
Greetings TYF!
I'm a newbie, I bought an 18 Tahoe RST Tungsten Metallic RWD on 9-8-22. One owner, clean Carfax, 22k miles! We discovered it has the no distance remote issue. I found your forum and your & solution with internet search, thanks. I have the amplifier on order now. I also located a TSB on this issue. I'll attach it.

Attachments

• Tahoe Remote Antenna TSB.jpg
    Tahoe Remote Antenna TSB.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 33

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Central Florida. The RSTs are nice Tahoes. I hope the amplifier fixes your issue. They can be a pain sometimes. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All -

Had the same issue with our 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT where the remote would not reach until I was 10ft away from vehicle. Trying to remote start it in the mornings was a hassle especially when it was freezing outside.

Ordered the Antenna Amplifier from RockAuto and installed it yesterday. Took a while to find it because I thought it was under the headliner right above the tailgate glass on the passenger's side, but was finally able to put eyes on it when we removed the headliner over the rear passenger's SIDE window. I thought the plastic piece that covers that rear speaker had clips like everything else did, however, I ended up pulling it and the piece ripped/broke off easily from where it was glued I suppose.

After swapping out the Antenna Amplifier and putting everything back...tested it out and was able to unlock/lock/remote start from the back of the house while it was parked in front of the house at the end of the driveway. So far, that seems to have solved the poor range issue. Also, went back with clear double-sided tape where that plastic rear side panel ripped to see if it will hold it to where it looks flush again.
I’m wondering if the amplifier is my problem. My ‘19 always recognizes my wife’s key fob even when I’m driving. She can be in the house and it will register to her fob instead of mine when I’m sitting in the driver’s seat. Plus, the manual lock/unlock button on the driver’s door handle (exterior) often won’t work when I press it.

Where exactly is the amplifier located? Is it over the passenger door or over the 3rd seat. I don’t want to risk damaging the headliner or plastic covers but also don’t want to pay the dealer for 3-5 hours labor to replace the amplifier. Any tricks or pointers to accessing the area where it is mounted?

bmuncy24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No need to take entire headliner down. I changed mine myself in 20 min. It’s 20 dollar part. Just need to take some side panels off to lower the back corner of headliner. If you have a burn or xl I think just the back pillar panel needs to come off given there is more play in the headliner.

View attachment 336939
View attachment 336940
View attachment 336941
View attachment 336942
View attachment 336943

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does replacing the transmitter fix the issue with the door handle lock buttons not working unless you have the key fob next to the handle? We have 2019 Yukon XL and the the door handles work very intermittently. Many times you have to take the fob out of your pocket or purse to get them to work. Kind of defeats the purpose. Our key fobs have bad range as well and replacing the batteries does not seem to help. Thanks

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure it was attached with some adhesive. A small dab of Gorilla glue will probably do the trick. I don’t think it will stop the signal. Just my opinion
Bob, how do you remove the side panels? Do they just pop off or is a special trim removal tool needed? I ask because when removing the trim around my tail lights to remove the light assemblies, the plastic tabs broke on both sides of the vehicle. I found another tab nearby that apparently the dealer broke and patched when he replaced a part that makes the liftgate open and close.

jscribn1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just completed this repair and it works like a dream. I can lock, unlock, and start the Tahoe from inside the house now. It was an easy fix and took about 30 minutes. Go slow and look at the clips, you can break them if you're not careful. Thanks for posting this and all the pics, it helped a ton!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid