2019 yukon back up camera stays on in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schneld

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI Folks
Today for no reason my back up camera on a 2019 GMC Yukon decided to stay on and will not turn off. I tired putting car into park, turning on/off vehicle wiggling the shifter. Still stays with back up camera on while driving down the road. Cannot access monitor. When care shuts off the menu for the monitor turn on so I am able to see the " home, setting, phone set up" . no so Any advice as to
1. why this happened
2. what I can do to fix it

thank you in advance
D

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the back-up lamps also stay on? If so, then the rig still thinks it's in reverse which would indicate a problem with the shifter mechanism.

OP
OP
S

schneld

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the back-up lamps also stay on? If so, then the rig still thinks it's in reverse which would indicate a problem with the shifter mechanism.
thank you for your reply. do you know if this is a big job to repair? in the steering column or would this be elsewhere? the car drives and shifts normal. I have an appt with the dealer in a few days and just trying to prepare myself or wondering it is an electronic thing that needs a reset?

OP
OP
S

schneld

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes the back up lamps also stay on. when I push the off button i am able to access the screen in a normal manner until i open the drivers door

VikeFan93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone find a fix to this? I just disconnected my battery but didn't help.

I'm having additional issues troubleshooting because I put Spec-D LED taillights in recently. When I put them in I had LED backup bulbs installed. Camera started coming on while driving. Saw somewhere that the LED backup bulbs may cause it so swapped back to the stocks. Fixed the problem for a while. Then last weekend the screen flickered and now the camera has been on ever since. Contacted Spec-D and they sent replacement taillights which should be delivered tomorrow, hopefully that fixes it. Otherwise I'll have to put the stock housings back in and see what happens.

Last edited:

VikeFan93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an appointment on Friday to have this diagnosed. Put my stock tail housings back in and still having the same issue so has to be a sensor that's saying it in R all the time.

Gregorytedd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife’s 2018 just started doing this today. Runs & drives perfectly normal but the back up camera stays on as well as the reverse lights unless I turn it to accessory, then I can access the Home Screen. Any easy things I can check for? Dealers here are backed up for months

VikeFan93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Totally forgot to post an update. Dealer determined mine was a short in the camera itself that ended up causing the camera and backup lights to stay on constantly. At first they tried to blame it on my aftermarket taillights but I let them know that the ones that were in were the stocks. Put the aftermarkets back in after the camera was replaced and everything has been fine since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu