2019 to 2020 trade opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing that sucks is these direct injection engines are day by day coking up the valves. I wonder what kind of longevity these are going to have compared to the port injected engines. I suspect you won't be getting 250,000 miles out of these without having to tear down enough to blast the the valves free of all the buildup.....but by then it will be out of warranty and GM will tell you it's your problem. I've read a lot on direct injection and it is an issue that they either won't or can't address. I have never given catch cans a second thought but if anything might get an advantage from one its these GDI engines IMO. GM will attempt to void your warranty dependent on what's broken if they find one on there. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

If there was a issue with these Direct Injections would have heard something by now as they have been out for awhile. Have been in Livery 2015 Suburban's with over 200K miles and the drivers said no issues with the Direct Injection. Plus the ones in Miami are constantly idling to keep the interior nice and cold.

All of the drivers also said their vehicles are serviced regularly every 5-6K miles by the dealer. All said they do not have to add oil between oil changes. All said they use 0w20 Mobil 1.

Using Top Tier Fuel [like Mobil] will probably save you headaches in the long run.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets get away from bringing the Government into this thread. Thank you.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Galante. You're a nice guy and have been very helpful and supportive on some of my other questions. People like you who go the extra mile to help somebody out are what makes a good forum.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was a issue with these Direct Injections would have heard something by now as they have been out for awhile. Have been in Livery 2015 Suburban's with over 200K miles and the drivers said no issues with the Direct Injection. Plus the ones in Miami are constantly idling to keep the interior nice and cold.

All of the drivers also said their vehicles are serviced regularly every 5-6K miles by the dealer. All said they do not have to add oil between oil changes. All said they use 0w20 Mobil 1.

Using Top Tier Fuel [like Mobil] will probably save you headaches in the long run.
I use Mobil in all my vehicles now. Maybe it will not be a big enough problem to cause a failure but I wonder if little by little the engines are loosing performance and the gradual effect goes unnoticed. Like the frog in a pot of warm water. I would think if these deposits cause slight issues the computer would compensate for it and you would loose something, power or MPG? I don't know enough about it but I have seen a bunch of ugly pictures of the back sides of valves with pretty low mileage on the 5.3 Ecotec.
I hope you are right and they will have the longevity of the previous generation engines. My 2003 5.3 Suburban ran great up to the day I traded it with well over 200,000 and the engine was never opened up for anything. Now was it performing as well as it was when it had 5,000 miles on it?...I don't know. I'm hoping these will stand the test of time also. The pictures and videos of the oil and coking are a reason for concern for me though.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil in all my vehicles now. Maybe it will not be a big enough problem to cause a failure but I wonder if little by little the engines are loosing performance and the gradual effect goes unnoticed. Like the frog in a pot of warm water. I would think if these deposits cause slight issues the computer would compensate for it and you would loose something, power or MPG? I don't know enough about it but I have seen a bunch of ugly pictures of the back sides of valves with pretty low mileage on the 5.3 Ecotec.
I hope you are right and they will have the longevity of the previous generation engines. My 2003 5.3 Suburban ran great up to the day I traded it with well over 200,000 and the engine was never opened up for anything. Now was it performing as well as it was when it had 5,000 miles on it?...I don't know. I'm hoping these will stand the test of time also. The pictures and videos of the oil and coking are a reason for concern for me though.

Right now I have 68K miles. Still performs and gets the same awesome mileage like the day I got it. So far have not done a induction service which most dealers push on everyone that comes in the door with over 30K miles.

Would not be surprised if I eventually have to get the Tahoe decarbonized. I really wish GM had the Port and Direction Injection mixed in together.

I thought the oil would get a lot dirtier in 5K miles with the Direct Injection but it looks the exact same as when I had the Port Injection which is a median clean looking amber just under the full mark.

Eventually I am going do a oil analysis see how much fuel dilution I have if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts