2019 Tahoe Windshield Crack, no impact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I experienced a massive shatter/cracking in my windshield when my 2015 was a little over a month old. Driving down one of our more notorious freeways, something struck the windshield, which sounded like a .50 cal striking armor plating (THUMP!). The wife was sitting on the passenger side and both of us jumped, (she had her sun visor tilted down) but we saw nothing. It was a mystery and I said, "How did that not shatter the windshield? Whatever that was".
Once we got home and she climbed out, I put her visor up and saw the impact, something struck the windshield right at the upper edge, where it meets the body.At the velocity I was traveling (75+/-), that object, had it hit an inch or two lower, there's little doubt it would have gone right through the windshield and probably struck her in the face, neck or chest, killing her.
I had no idea what it was, if it was a rock tossed up by a tire, or if someone tossed something off the overpass we were crossing under, but it left a Quarter-sized impact on the glass and spider web cracks radiating outward.
Thankful she wasn't hurt, I called my insurance company and filed a claim. After a brief conversation with the adjuster, they covered it and insisted it be replaced with OEM glass (as the truck was so new, there were no aftermarket parts available anyway). They recommended Safelite (which I probably would have called as well with their terrible commercials and that awful jingle..."Safelite repair, Safelite replace"... (sorry) I called them and within two days they came right to the house and replaced the windshield in about 4 hours.
The cost to do so was my deductible, 250.00. If I had to pay cash for it, it would have run around 2000, plus labor. I don't know what the cost for them now is, though I'd imagine a windshield for a 19 will run the same +/-.
While my issue was related to an impact, I did have an experience with a rental, that had a cracked windshield. Earlier the same year, before I purchased my Yukon, I needed to rent a Suburban for a special project where my 93 C3500 just wouldn't work. I reserved one a month prior to needing it and when I went to pick it up, the previous renters brought it back with a crack in the windshield, going from the bottom of the left side of the glass, just offset center by about 4-5 inches, and traversing up through the windshield. They had no others available and I needed it that week, taking it anyway with the caveat of the broken windshield being there prior to my renting of the vehicle.
Throughout the week, the crack went from 9", all the way to the upper windshield, where for whatever reason, it turned 90 degrees and moved parallel to the top of the windshield making it's way towards the passenger side. I pondered the issue about cracking windshields and GM's SUV's myself.
I have not had an issue with my replacement windshield on my Yukon and hope it stays that way. Good luck with your insurance/warranty. I hope you're able to get it replaced, if not under warranty then at least with minimal OOP expenses.

WinshieldImpact.jpg

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cracked windshields are a part of life here in Colorado. They are most likely to happen when there's a compromise near the edge of the windshield, where the flex is most pronounced. I have a nice-sized star about 1/3 down from the top on the passenger side right now that I haven't had time to fill, but (knock wood) it's not getting any larger. Other hand, you can have an almost imperceptible ding in your windshield at the edge, and it will spread with as little as a temperature change.

In Colorado and perhaps elsewhere, State Farm offers a glass protection rider. It's around $50 per year IIRC and covers all glass damage with no deductible. It's been fantastic for us through the years.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’ve been in the glass business most my life. Laminated glass which is what a windshield is, (as opposed to tempered glass like the doors and rear glass in today’s US vehicles) is made up of 2 very thin layers of annealed ( non- tempered) glass with a layer of plastic in the middle. Those 2 layers of glass are a little over 1/16” thick, and the edges are their weakest point. It’s super easy to crack one of those layers. When we are installing 1/4” laminated flat glass we make sure to seam (sand) the edges good after cutting it to size because even a tiny rough spot at the edge will most likely cause a crack when we install it and push on the edge to seat it. So just imagine taking a piece of regular annealed 1/16” glass and how easy it would be to crack it if you hit the edge. In the center it’s much harder to start a crack so a lot of times an impact leaves a divot instead while if the happens at the edge it starts a crack. In Europe their windshields are tempered due to different safety laws so they don’t get cracked windshields but if there’s an impact sufficient to break the tempered glass, it’s terrible because you have thousands of tiny pieces of glass in your face and the windshield is completely gone. This is especially bad if it happens at high speed.

Porkys

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree with other posters (Will). Replacing these windshields is a PITA because the glass shop has to do a calibration for your front facing cameras and sensors.

Cheapest idea: If you want to avoid replacement hassle and potentially cost, and can live with a small star crack, drop a small drop of the most viscous superglue you can find right onto the crack (have a damp towel at the ready to wipe up any spillage); the superglue will then seep into the crack and seal it for years to come. It is the way car wash folks and others repair a crack when you don't want to replace the windshield.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had not driven my 2019 Tahoe for a week, walked by last night and it now has a 7 inch crack coming down from near the antenna on drivers side. There is no impact marks anywhere, it has 4,200 miles.

when we had a loaner from dealer, the Tahoe we were given to drive, had a crack in the same area but 3 times longer, is this a known fault or did I just get unlucky? Would this be covered by the warranty?

thanks!
make a warranty claim
small claims court will be the next bet if it's denied.. maybe even lemon law it.. as there might be a serious defect in the chassis (body flex or weak spot)that caused it to crack. the windshield is part of the "structure" on newer cars/suv

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with other posters (Will). Replacing these windshields is a PITA because the glass shop has to do a calibration for your front facing cameras and sensors.

Cheapest idea: If you want to avoid replacement hassle and potentially cost, and can live with a small star crack, drop a small drop of the most viscous superglue you can find right onto the crack (have a damp towel at the ready to wipe up any spillage); the superglue will then seep into the crack and seal it for years to come. It is the way car wash folks and others repair a crack when you don't want to replace the windshield.
No, repairs are made with uv glue that’s much thinner than water and is activated with a uv light. That’s how they’re repaired by reputable places like Safelite. Car wash folks? Really? All you’ll do with superglue is make a mess. It will never make it into the crack.