2019 Tahoe Premier - Steering Issue: "No Problem Found"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was entering an on-ramp at about 40 mph on dry pavement....gentle steering input to the left resulted in vehicle feeling like it was sliding. Only for a moment, but enough to grab instant attention! Back to normal for the next 40 mins or so, then on a straight road while correcting gently to the right the wheel felt "light" and vehicle appears to move more quickly than normal to the right.

Excellent Chevy Service Dept checked everything, called GM, etc. No problem found. Service Dept Mgr said possible that the vehicle did this b/c it was in A4WD and that should only be used during rain, snow, etc. Nonsense
....that setting is designed exactly for day to day driving, right?
Wife takes this truck when she travels with friends. Am very concerned. Anyone with ideas? Thx!
Marc

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
AS @mb1500 said, need to get alignment readings and post, if an alignment is done, the before and after readings. Was any work done to the vehicle before this feeling started?

Condition of tires? Brand of tires? Road conditions? Air pressure in tires and recommended tire pressure on the sidewall of tire? Rating of tires? Owned since new or bought used and how long ago?

lbenson

Reaction score
Unless absolutely needed (such as in snow), never use Auto 4WD on these trucks. Have been told by mechanics in the past that running it when unnecessary will cause damage to the 4WD system, and to not drive faster than 55mph when using it. Unfortunately it seems that is for "everyday driving" when it is not at all, and the sales people have limited mechanical knowledge with these systems.

It would make sense that the truck feels differently when steering and driving while the 4WD is engaged vs not engaged (which the Auto system may or may have not been doing to your truck at the time). I certainly feel the 4WD when driving on the few occasions I do need it. Driving in 2WD is always smoother than 4WD and the steering feels lighter in 2WD.

Not saying this is the cause of your problem, but stick with 2WD and see if it happens again.

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thx......agree that 4WD is not to be used when conditions do not require. Have had as a option on my vehicles since '78. Difference here is the automatic feature on A4WD.....sold as more safe since it can shift into 4WD quicker than the driver when the need is recognized. So, groovy - count me in. But do agree that if it is falsing into 4WD on a dry road on a sunny Fall day, then I stated the wrong issue in the beginning to the tech. Wasn't the steering.
M

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they put it on the rack and check alignment?
Did....and post-rack, after finding nothing with the steering they did a bumper to bumper check out of the complete vehicle. Including driver settings. I did change the A4WD setting to 2WD and have put 100 miles on the vehicle...no issues. Still think A4WD would be defective if it were the cause.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COMPLETE NON SENSE, you can drive in "auto" 24/7 at any speed wont hurt a thing except perhaps a very mild mpg hit
that's like saying a 4wd front diff should not be used with a awd vehicle, when in fact the differential is the exact same with the only difference being one has a mechanical actuator and one does not. (Power is split by the transfer case, same as "auto")
if there was a risk of damage it would say so in the owners manual, which in fact it does not
"AUTO (Automatic Four-Wheel Drive) : Use when road surface traction conditions are variable. When driving in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear wheels automatically based on driving conditions. This setting provides slightly lower fuel economy than 2 m."
the only thing it say's not to do is park on a icy/slippery steep hill or incline while in auto if you need traction to exit such a condition use 4 hi which is completely logical if you ever go off-roading. because "auto" is not 4wd.

and YES I drive mine in auto 24/7 because I have a heavy foot and I would be doing burnouts all the time, in auto it splits the power hence no burnout. your also less likely to loose rear end traction in a turn because any "wheel spin" is automatically corrected.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic this Auto thing,I was also told not to use it by a drive line tech.Mine is a 900 though so maybe there different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st