2019 Navigation Upgrade .. Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruby Roo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM wants $99.99 for an upgrade to the navigation system. The Garmin system I have had for a while comes with lifetime upgrades. Is the GM upgrade worth the money? How difficult is it to do yourself?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM wants $99.99 for an upgrade to the navigation system. The Garmin system I have had for a while comes with lifetime upgrades. Is the GM upgrade worth the money? How difficult is it to do yourself?

If you have a cell phone I can’t imagine paying for gps at this point.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Android auto is a much better option and it's free if you have a Android cell phone,

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the advent of modern smart phones and Google maps, today's vehicle-based navigation systems are a complete waste of money.

The same could probably be said about smartphone/Pandora versus vehicle-based SiriusXM.

The day will soon arrive when on-board navigation and entertainment systems are totally replaced in new vehicles by a simple smartphone dock, allowing the phone to drive all the options and accessories that formerly resided on board the vehicle. We are already seeing this trend with Android Auto and similar apps.

Spells doom for expensive on-board nav and satellite radio systems as we know them today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
With the advent of modern smart phones and Google maps, today's vehicle-based navigation systems are a complete waste of money.

The same could probably be said about smartphone/Pandora versus vehicle-based SiriusXM.

The day will soon arrive when on-board navigation and entertainment systems are totally replaced in new vehicles by a simple smartphone dock, allowing the phone to drive all the options and accessories that formerly resided on board the vehicle. We are already seeing this trend with Android Auto and similar apps.

Spells doom for expensive on-board nav and satellite radio systems as we know them today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Totally makes sense.

OP
OP
Ruby Roo

Ruby Roo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded Android Auto and will try it out on my next road trip (in 2 days). Driving to Northern California.