2019 GMC Yukon NO Trans Gears, NO Tachometer, NO Oil Pressure, NO Power Steering SECOND TIME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally lemon laws apply to a repeated repair for an "un-fixable" issue. Which I have yet to experience "again." I would be satisfied with a repair to be honest. I sent all of my descriptions and video to GM Corporate on Friday and haven't heard back yet. I'm suspicious that anyone knowledgeable will take a look but you never know. There are a shit ton of electrical issues with all of these full size trucks and SUVS. Most all seem to be centered around the power steering error but then everyone has different symptoms, some have a reduction in braking, and then like me I had no forward or reverse gears. Very strange.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pulled the battery, but didnt try a new one to see if that fixed the issue? A complete electric circuit is imperative in any modern vehicle. I had a newer MDX essentially stall in middle of hwy with no steering and christmas tree lights when the battery cable came loose. No fun on family trip, but easy to fix (tightened up - no more problems). Was the vehicle in a flood? Often flood vehicles look great, but have hidden corrosion you will never flesh out. Stock batteries are crap these days, and dont last very long - I think my burb with 7500 miles is a little hesitant starting already. If the problem resolves after a change, talk to gm and they may reimburse your purchase...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue hasn't returned since the first time on January 13th. The dealership did perform a TSB that outlined "most" of the faults I experienced, minus being unable to shift into any gear.

With that being said I did have the battery tested at three separate parts stores. The last store showed something like 730 cranking amps. Or cold cranking amps. Most of the employees don't know what they are looking at, but I took a quick peek.

I can afford a replacement battery but am hesitant due to the fact that it passed three tests. I am also awaiting a response from GM Corporate.

If the vehicle was in a flood it would have been well hidden. Also the CarFax didn't report it. It was a Hertz Rental in its prior life from late 2018 until sometime in late 2019.

The floor beneath driver and passenger footwell is most certainly rust free and immaculate. I took a peek under the carpeting on both sides to check for myself. That would be the lowest point in the floor in the vehicle where I would think the majority of water would accumulate, given that the vehicle is generally higher in the rear.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is curious, here is a screenshot of the service performed while I had it in the shop. There were 3 codes stored in "history" pertaining to loss of communication to the ECM, ABS, and BCM.

Repair.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still recommend a new battery and new battery cables, if for nothing else than piece of mind, you can order both online and save some money. The reason I say this is because the problem is obviously electrical, so why not be certain that your electrical system is up to spec or better. No telling what is occurring under a load and how the heat/cold is effecting it.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned the other 2019 user had both the negative cable and the fusable-link box on top of the battery replaced. Apparently the dealership did a test on the cables and it showed that the ground cable had high resistance or a voltage drop.

The TSB that I read that was apparently performed on my Yukon does say to test for voltage drop on all of the battery cables. I would assume if they complete a TSB that they do all of the steps? This is hard to interpret as in the service description on the invoice it only says that they cleaned battery connections. So did they follow the entirety of the TSB? Are they supposed to?

I attached TSB 18NA161. It is 7 pages long. I recall asking the service manager at the dealership what was done and he really didn't know, he was just reading off what notes the tech wrote on the invoice, which wasn't much.

Attachments

• 18NA161.pdf
    237.8 KB · Views: 3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned the other 2019 user had both the negative cable and the fusable-link box on top of the battery replaced. Apparently the dealership did a test on the cables and it showed that the ground cable had high resistance or a voltage drop.

The TSB that I read that was apparently performed on my Yukon does say to test for voltage drop on all of the battery cables. I would assume if they complete a TSB that they do all of the steps? This is hard to interpret as in the service description on the invoice it only says that they cleaned battery connections. So did they follow the entirety of the TSB? Are they supposed to?

I attached TSB 18NA161. It is 7 pages long. I recall asking the service manager at the dealership what was done and he really didn't know, he was just reading off what notes the tech wrote on the invoice, which wasn't much.
The difference between a TSB and a Recall is the TSB they will bill you for (presuming any parts replaced were not under warranty), a recall will have no charges, unless the dealer comped you for a TSB then there would have been some kind of charge otherwise.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is still under warranty so I am not concerned about a charge. My question was, if a TSB tells them to check ten items, do they automatically go and check all ten? The TSB that they quoted as performing is 7 pages long and has them doing a variety of tests in different areas of the truck. Yet their descriptive text only said that they cleaned battery connections. It is very short, in comparison to what the full TSB says they are supposed to check.

For instance, they never physically mentioned doing a voltage drop or resistance check, yet it is clearly identified within the TSB. As is checking the starter connections, and infamous dashboard mounted grounding stud.

Like I said I asked the service manager and all they knew about what was done, was what was printed on the invoice. I was asking them about the G218 ground and they had no idea. Then again they didn't perform the work, and obviously didn't feel like questioning the technician.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget if we discussed it before but another Dealer would be in my future and show the Service Manager the notes from the first Dealer. As vague as they are maybe he could get the TSB approved with proper notes and proper tests followed to a tee step by step. It would be very interesting to see if something else was discovered. As before good luck and I hope you get it figured out. I don't think cleaning the cables is the fix for your issue.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I doubt it is a long term fix either considering that they found nothing wrong to begin with. With that being said it hasn't happened again since it was returned to me but that hasn't even been two weeks yet. And it took about 4-5 weeks for it to happen the first time from when I took ownership.

I'm in communication with GM but I haven't heard from them in about a week since I sent them the video. I don't know what is up with them. Their telephone communication was very good but then it just seems to have dropped dead. I don't know what happened and emailing them hasn't garnished a reply so who knows if they're even receiving my video to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons