2018 Yukon XL SLT, rear air shock blown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, those are great tips! What is the electrical connector for that you are talking about disturbing?
The electrical connector goes to the antilock brake sensor in the hub. If it gets disconnected, you will get a warning light in your instrument cluster.

OP
OP
D

dmtml

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looks like choices are pretty slim
oem replacement acdelco is 84176675 $382 (each)
arnott makes one that is "passive" and does not have ride-control those are $207 each AS3429
rockauto has either, I would go with oem myself since there really isn't another working alternative out that I know of the oem ride-control is a nice feature.
Looks like I ended up with the wrong part...went to do the replacement today, and the existing air shock in my Yukon does not appear to have an electrical connection, it just has an air connection. Ugh

Here is my RPO codes, does this help at all in figuring out what I need?

1GKS2GKC1JR189830,2018,TK15906,11,17,06,VQGQHN, AG2 AN3 ARL AXP AYQ CJ4 C6H DL3 FHS GAN H2X IO6 I18 JD9 L83 MBC MYC NP5 NTB QSS RC4 RD5 RUF TC2 UDD UQA U2K V8E WMJ Z49 Z85 Z88 4AA 4SA 6SH 7SH 8X2 9X2,636R,,,,

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I ended up with the wrong part...went to do the replacement today, and the existing air shock in my Yukon does not appear to have an electrical connection, it just has an air connection. Ugh

Here is my RPO codes, does this help at all in figuring out what I need?

1GKS2GKC1JR189830,2018,TK15906,11,17,06,VQGQHN, AG2 AN3 ARL AXP AYQ CJ4 C6H DL3 FHS GAN H2X IO6 I18 JD9 L83 MBC MYC NP5 NTB QSS RC4 RD5 RUF TC2 UDD UQA U2K V8E WMJ Z49 Z85 Z88 4AA 4SA 6SH 7SH 8X2 9X2,636R,,,,
not possible, they don't make a factory air shock without the sensor which means some one else already had changed them and the sensor harness is probably zip tied up somewhere, take a flashlight and look around near the top shock mount.

OP
OP
D

dmtml

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not possible, they don't make a factory air shock without the sensor which means some one else already had changed them and the sensor harness is probably zip tied up somewhere, take a flashlight and look around near the top shock mount.

Interesting, thank you very much. I'll crawl back under there tonight and see if I can find it! I did feel around a little bit initially and didn't feel anything, but I'll dig deeper this time since I know it should be there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you very much. I'll crawl back under there tonight and see if I can find it! I did feel around a little bit initially and didn't feel anything, but I'll dig deeper this time since I know it should be there.
The harness you are looking for will be a 2 pin connector that fits the port on your new shock, it probably has a resistor pack plugged into it and is probably tucked up away somewhere otherwise it would just be dangling there

22ECO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not possible, they don't make a factory air shock without the sensor which means some one else already had changed them and the sensor harness is probably zip tied up somewhere, take a flashlight and look around near the top shock mo
That’s not entirely true, have the same thing. You have the increased capacity package, so you do not have the Magneride just a leveling shock. The Ride height is sensed by a sensor on the driver side.. PN# 19432783 should be the correct shock.

If you don’t mind the leveling system warning every time you get in the SUV.
I would suggest scraping that air ride crap and installing these Dayton springs 351-897HD with Bilstein 5100 shocks 24-253260.. the ride is so much better.. Now I will say those springs will raise the rear about an inch of the factory height. Before your shocks were blown. I have a 2” leveling kit on the front and it sat just about level. If you remove the air shocks, you have to replace those springs because the rear will sag. They are designed to be helped by the air shock.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not entirely true, have the same thing. You have the increased capacity package, so you do not have the Magneride just a leveling shock. The Ride height is sensed by a sensor on the driver side.. PN# 19432783 should be the correct shock.

I would suggest scraping that air ride crap and installing these Dayton springs 351-897HD with Bilstein 5100 shocks 24-253260.. the ride is so much better.. Now I will say those springs will raise the rear about an inch of the factory height. Before your shocks were blown. I have a 2” leveling kit on the front and it sat just about level. If you remove the air shocks, you have to replace those springs because the rear will sag. They are designed to be helped by the air shock.
well that would explain it, news to me I haven't seen too many z85's around.
if this is the case then you can probably still use the shock anyway, the bladder will work just like one without a sensor, the air pressure in on a single line and the pressure is equalized between the 2 shocks.

OP
OP
D

dmtml

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks. It appears that you are right, with the Z85 code that means I do NOT have the Magneride, that would be Z95.

Are you saying, "If you don't mind the warning, then scrap the air ride and go for the springs/shocks?". I'm just a little thrown off by the text formatting and it's making me do a double-take on what you're trying to say.

22ECO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I unplugged my compressor, and removed the air ride shocks. It rides so much better now. There is a downside, I get a notification on my dash that says to service the leveling system every time I get in. I just hit the ok and continue my drive.. I personally don’t mind it, but if that would bother you then I would stick to the stock shocks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts