2018 Tahoe LS rattle under headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sd172

Reaction score
I'm experiencing a very annoying rattle that comes from the highlighted area (possibly air duct?). It only manifests itself between 20 and 40 F of outside temperature, and completely disappears during warmer months. Did anyone have similar problem and how did it get resolved? I can still bring mine to the dealer and attempt to fix it under warranty, but there's a risk of them creating more problems when trying to fix this one.
2020-01-08 08.24.39.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When the rattle is happening can you touch/push that area and the noise stops?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep. That was a guess of mine or some hardware used to hold headliner in place that would run across there. I did not know about the foam or the fix though. Mine was just gonna be a WAG.

OP
OP
sd172

sd172

Reaction score
Yep. That was a guess of mine or some hardware used to hold headliner in place that would run across there. I did not know about the foam or the fix though. Mine was just gonna be a WAG.
Even a WAG is better than nothing. When I read about the temperature effect on the foam it kinda made sense to me. When I test drove and bought my vehicle in August of 2018 there was no rattle whatsoever.
I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to get it looked at. Will see how that goes.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only reason I thought about it was when I lived in KC, Mo. and in the winter there I ran shops ad we had a Mercedes Benz wagon come in with the same problem above the back area. It was the same repair to fix that. That was about 28 years ago.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my Escalade's had a rattle there, turned out to be a lose electric wire harness that was not wire tied, it took them 3-4 hours to remove the headliner, UNDER WARRANTY, and 1 minute to fix the problem forever. Never heard it until it until winter time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep