2018 - Skid plate removal for oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. It's a Tahoe. Got it delivered to my son in the UP of Michigan, yesterday. 500+ mile drive and all went ok. Those ramps are interesting. Thanks again, you are all awesome for helping.
I have two sets of drive on ramps. I have a hard plastic set from Harbor Freight that are approximately 8"-9" of elevation and a steel set that are closer to 10"-11" lift. The steel ones are steeper and therefore there are times I cannot use them if driving something on there that has the air scoop/foil on the front because they will hit. I am a bigger guy and like the room but the Tahoe sets up higher than a car so I can use either ramp for it. The tilt up at the front helps get rid of the old oil better. The store bought ramps also have a cup area at the very front that the front tires set in and help with no roll back. BUT, you should always put wheel chocks at the back of each rear tire.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have two sets of drive on ramps. I have a hard plastic set from Harbor Freight that are approximately 8"-9" of elevation and a steel set that are closer to 10"-11" lift. The steel ones are steeper and therefore there are times I cannot use them if driving something on there that has the air scoop/foil on the front because they will hit. I am a bigger guy and like the room but the Tahoe sets up higher than a car so I can use either ramp for it. The tilt up at the front helps get rid of the old oil better. The store bought ramps also have a cup area at the very front that the front tires set in and help with no roll back. BUT, you should always put wheel chocks at the back of each rear tire.

Lay a 2x10 in front of the ramps and drive up on that first, to get a start on the elevation. I think @Rocket Man showed that sometime or other.

Dave in Gig Harbor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have a 2018 with a skid plate. A couple of tips that I use to make it less messy after getting it up on ramps:

1) I use a hole punch and put a hole in the bottom of the oil filter. Get the drain pan under the filter and pull the hole punch out. Almost all the oil will drain straight down instead of out past the gasket area.

2) I have a Fumoto brand oil drain installed. I used the one with the banjo style bolt as the original one piece ones tended to leak. I also have the one that has the small hose bib so I can attach a clear hose to it and then drain directly in to my recycled oil jug.

When I used to do an oil change without the above, the oil filter oil was a mess and as I recall the draining oil would get on stuff at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons