2018 pre-inspection tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXLPerson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a 2018 used Yukon XL Denali and plan to take it to a mechanic for inspection. Beyond the standard checkpoint list and unreported accident evidence, what questions or standout items should I ask about with this year/model?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a 2018 used Yukon XL Denali and plan to take it to a mechanic for inspection. Beyond the standard checkpoint list and unreported accident evidence, what questions or standout items should I ask about with this year/model?
AC condenser. Factory ones develop a crack. GM covers it up to 5 years and 75k miles I believe.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get ALL service records. Hopefully you plan on buying it only from a GMC-Chevrolet dealer.

OP
OP
Y

YukonXLPerson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make sure you get ALL service records. Hopefully you plan on buying it only from a GMC-Chevrolet dealer.

It’s listed through a used car sales, not a branded dealer. The service records I have are what have been recorded through Carfax. Beyond CPO, what advantage does the branded GM dealership offer for a used car that either a private or other dealership offers? I’m asking genuinely as my spouse and I have gone back and forth about this.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s listed through a used car sales, not a branded dealer. The service records I have are what have been recorded through Carfax. Beyond CPO, what advantage does the branded GM dealership offer for a used car that either a private or other dealership offers? I’m asking genuinely as my spouse and I have gone back and forth about this.

Seeing that the vehicle is only around 2 years old it is likely that most of the service and maintenance has been performed at a GMC/Chevrolet branded dealer. Therefore, it would be much easier for a GMC/Chevrolet (Or Cadillac for that matter) branded dealer to pull up the vehicle service/maintenance records by the VIN. This would provide much more detail on the vehicle history than your Carfax report.

That being said, if you have any contacts or people that work at a GMC/Chevrolet dealership you’re comfortable with you could always ask them; “If I provide you with a vehicle VIN# would you be able to print me off any service or maintenance records in the system related to that VIN#?” It should be a pretty quick and painless task to do.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would not comfortable buying from a non GMC-Chevrolet dealer. Even if the cost was slightly higher. You can probably get a better warranty from the them [if you want] plus if you have any kind of issue it will easier for you to get the work done.

I would check out reviews of dealerships who have a excellent reviews [or close to it] for sales and service in your neck of the woods. I have seen horrible reviews for service at some dealerships.

I hate dealing with dealerships but did find a decent dealer in Pompano Beach Florida and in Paramus New Jersey.

All that is just me. To each their own.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the windows up drive down some rough city streets at 25 or 30 mph and listen for a "booming" type sound in the interior. Top flexing or something seems like. Late Tahoes have this problem, ours does, but the stretch upper level Yukon might not. It does get annoying over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne