2018 GMC Denali or Tahoe RST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy the Tahoe I would suggest the 3:42 gear which comes with the max trailering package. But as others have suggested drive both yourself and then decide. You are spending $70,000 so make sure you and your wife are happy not the members on this board.

Last edited:

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is faster than the 5.3, but not overwhelmingly. The 5.3 doesn't feel underpowered in daily driving at all.

With the exception of the valve deactivation feature, which I think was a retrofit, the entire powertrain on the 5.3 is very established. Old, yes, but not super high tech, doesn't break too much, easy to fix when it does break, lots of parts available and mechanics who can do the work. There's value there.

Neither engine makes these trucks into Porsches. If you feel like towing a 7000 pound trailer over mountain passes, maybe go with the 6.2 (or a 3/4 ton diesel pickup). If you must have the top available engine in any car you drive, go with the 6.2. Otherwise, think about the 5.3 - it's beyond fine and it's cheaper.

I recommend the 20" wheels. Better ride, cheaper tires, better curb protection, better pothole survival. Size looks fine - rolling radius is exactly the same as the 22" setup. Though, the GMC 20" wheels are much cooler looking than the Chevy ones. IMO.

Pricing is odd on these trucks, as the OP noticed. A Premier Tahoe or Denali Yukon can be $10K more than a well-optioned LT Tahoe or SLT Yukon, and in my own cross-shopping experience I did not see that much value differential. I believe you pay an awful lot for a high-tech suspension that will probably be expensive to maintain downstream, power running boards that don't seem necessary to me, and I know for sure the 22" wheel option adds over $2000.

I went with an LT Tahoe that had almost everything on it; seemed like the sweet spot to me. But some people have to have the top of the line, I get that.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to sort this whole thing out with my wife. After a lot of thought, my wife told me she likes the looks of the Tahoe Premier better than the Yukon Denali. Questions for you. Is the 5.3 a dog compared to the 6.2 in the Denali? We saw the Premier with the RST package but it only had the 5.3. However it was priced about $8,000 less than the Denali. How would you compare the two?

Do you live in an area around sea level? I ask because living at 5k above sea level, there is a bigger difference in power due to the altitude. When you go up I-70 you can feel the power slip away. I have an 05 Tahoe with 5.3, I have had it at sea level and also up over Loveland pass and I can tell you IMO the 5.3 is noticably less powerful than my other tahoe that has a 6.2 in it. City driving both tahoes feel about the same here in Colorado, but going up the mountains or getting on the highway, they are both different animals.

I think the 5.3 and 6.2 have the same power until they hit 2k RPM, then the 6.2 wakes up, and the torque is endless.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you live in an area around sea level? I ask because living at 5k above sea level, there is a bigger difference in power due to the altitude. When you go up I-70 you can feel the power slip away.
Agreed, which is one reason I'd be OK with GM putting turbo 6-cylinders in these like Ford has done. But really, what percentage of the time are we driving above 10,000 feet?

I took my little single axle pop-up over Wolf Creek Pass and back last week. It hardly lost MPG and complained not at all. Transmission fluid never got above 195. 5.3l engine.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, my wife and I are looking at a new 2018 Denali or Tahoe RST. Can I get some guidance as to which way to go? RST's are hard to find and they seem to be priced similarly to the Denali, which are more available. Also, should I even consider a 6.2 or is the 5.3 engine adequate. My wife is indifferent and is leaving the decision up to me. Seems like there are more Tahoe's with the 5.3 available in my area and virtually no RST's (but plenty of Denali's).

John , you might check out this thread https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/pulled-the-trigger-2018-rst-tahoe.105071/

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is faster than the 5.3, but not overwhelmingly. The 5.3 doesn't feel underpowered in daily driving at all.

With the exception of the valve deactivation feature, which I think was a retrofit, the entire powertrain on the 5.3 is very established. Old, yes, but not super high tech, doesn't break too much, easy to fix when it does break, lots of parts available and mechanics who can do the work. There's value there.

Neither engine makes these trucks into Porsches. If you feel like towing a 7000 pound trailer over mountain passes, maybe go with the 6.2 (or a 3/4 ton diesel pickup). If you must have the top available engine in any car you drive, go with the 6.2. Otherwise, think about the 5.3 - it's beyond fine and it's cheaper.

I recommend the 20" wheels. Better ride, cheaper tires, better curb protection, better pothole survival. Size looks fine - rolling radius is exactly the same as the 22" setup. Though, the GMC 20" wheels are much cooler looking than the Chevy ones. IMO.

Pricing is odd on these trucks, as the OP noticed. A Premier Tahoe or Denali Yukon can be $10K more than a well-optioned LT Tahoe or SLT Yukon, and in my own cross-shopping experience I did not see that much value differential. I believe you pay an awful lot for a high-tech suspension that will probably be expensive to maintain downstream, power running boards that don't seem necessary to me, and I know for sure the 22" wheel option adds over $2000.

I went with an LT Tahoe that had almost everything on it; seemed like the sweet spot to me. But some people have to have the top of the line, I get that.

IMO the 5.3 is a slug compared to the 6.2! My buddy bought a 2015 Suburban and I was not impressed at all power wise. IMO the 6.2 is a huge upgrade!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the 5.3 is a slug compared to the 6.2! My buddy bought a 2015 Suburban and I was not impressed at all power wise. IMO the 6.2 is a huge upgrade!
In a Tahoe or Yukon, the 5.3l does 0-60 in about 6.7 seconds and the 6.2l runs about 5.8 seconds. Like I've said, the 6.2 is faster, but that .9 seconds is not going to feel like night and day in the world of normal driving.

As point of reference, a late-80s IROC Z28 did 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds, and a current BMW 320i does it in 6.6 seconds. Hard to credibly call the 5.3 a "slug".

Last edited:

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with what fits your pocket I went with RSt with all disounts I didn’t see any Denali discounts at all they are both same body engine and transmission on 6.2 I went with the one I could save most the Denali was nice but pricey so I went with Chevy.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither. Both have the cursed 8 speed auto. GM will “triple flush” it for you until the warranty is up then give you the middle finger. Find a Tahoe with the “outdated” 6speed auto and enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos