2018 Denali grille swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigVette427

Reaction score
I broke that red safety pin on the wiring harness (for the fog lights) in order to remove the bumper, does anybody know where I can get another one to replace it?

thumbnail.jpg

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not familiar with that particular retainer but, could you just use a small zip tie to run through where the retainer would normally? Fashion a small piece of plastic? I'm a bit OCD so I get it if you want it to be back to "factory."

BigVette427

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not familiar with that particular retainer but, could you just use a small zip tie to run through where the retainer would normally? Fashion a small piece of plastic? I'm a bit OCD so I get it if you want it to be back to "factory."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well but the way this connector is designed there just isn't anywhere to put a zip tie. The GM p/n for my 2017 Denali is labeled as a front bumper harness and retails for a little over a $100. I found a used pigtail cutoff from the rest of the harness with a slightly outdated p/n that has the pin, so I might just go with that.

All in all, it was a little more PITA than I was hoping. Had a little trouble removing the original bumper/grille as there were two additional plastic plugs on the bottom of the bumper that hung me up when I was trying to pull the bumper off, scuffed my GMC logo and maybe a small scratch on the bumper cover (right between the two 10mm bolts on the outside of the fender.)

Broke all five clips off the passenger side bumper cover guide, (none on the drivers side,) so I'm not sure how I would even do that in the future had I to do it again. Can get a new one on Ebay or Amazon for like $11, but fortunately, I was able to just glue (used Goop, wish I would have had some Gorilla glue,) them back on. If you have take that part off, you'd do yourself a favor to have a ratcheting 7mm wrench.

I swapped out the lower molding while I had the bumper cover off for the GM one pre-cut with holes for tow hooks, (went with chrome tow hooks after all,) and that was a bit more of a PITA than I anticipated, as well; those clips are really in there. I can't imagine trying to do that with the bumper cover still on the truck. Just remove the fog lamp bezel with the one screw and press out the clips.

All in all, it went back together and looks great. Hoping to get half of what I paid for the 2018 grille for my 2017 grille, and other than that, super happy with it. I was really surprised as the more I saw of the new 2018 Denali grille, with it spread out across the entire GMC Denali line, the more I knew I wanted to do it. Was worth it to me.

BigVette427

Reaction score
I broke that red safety pin on the wiring harness (for the fog lights) in order to remove the bumper, does anybody know where I can get another one to replace it?

View attachment 195310
Found it! It's called a CPA and it's a Molex connector, 33472-1606. Went to Molex's website, searched the part number, found one of their distributors who would ship just one, and got it for about the same price that it cost the USPS to ship it to me.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0334721606_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml

Molex 33472-1606.JPG

Molex 33472-1606 (2).JPG

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this swap to the 18 grill in December (I think it was), and man, I love this grill. For those of you that think it's too much chrome, it's actually an almost brushed look in the fins when you get up on it with some chrome of course - it's not blinding - perfect mix, to me. Far better look than the previous ones imo.

Quicksilver3014

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swapped in this grille last night. It was alot easier after I realized how to get the bumper off. Made a huge change to the look. The wife actually liked it so it must be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20180824_223603.jpg Great idea and write up Hosseface.... Ordered a new grill for my 2015 Yukon Denali and installed the other day. Looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts