2018 Chev Suburban 5.3L AWD/4WD vs. 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Auto" does indeed have power running through the transfer case and the front shaft spinning, ready to send power to the front wheels.
I think this is why I had been admonished not to use the “Auto” setting 24/7. It just creates unnecessary wear and tear on the drivetrain.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the northeast and Have been driving a 2WD truck since my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500, then 08 avalanche, and now 2017 Suburban. If the snow is that bad then no one is driving anyways. Unless you are a Nurse DR or Emergency services, there's no need for 4x4 for 2 - 6"snowfalls a year. But then again it all depends on where you live and what you do

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone that notices the slow shifts added a pedal modifier like SprintBooster or Pedal Commander?

Those things are garbage anyways. They are a mind trick you can get the same effect but just having a heavier foot. Faking a throttle percentage does nothing more than make say 10 percent feel like 20 percent. Its cheaper to just use your foot to go to 20 percent on your own.

blackbear though can tune the trans and speed up the shifts and get rid of the fuel cut on shifts etc and really wake the vehicle up. They are out of Autocals at the moment I believe unless they got more in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suburban is either RWD/2WD or 4WD. We do not have an AWD setting. Some folks have assumed that the transfer case can operate like AWD if you leave it in AUTO 24/7, but I was admonished by my local Chevy dealer that doing so is bad for the truck. Instead, it should be left in 2WD and placed into 4WD when needed.
I leave my 18 silverado in auto most of the time and it does drive pretty much identical to my awd denali I cant tell the difference. the difference I can tell is when I put it in 2wd it will do burnouts at will
***and yes a blackbear tune makes a HUGE difference

as far as wear from being in auto "maybe" and maybe it's less prone to breaking the rear end if the power is distributed with some to the front.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01