2018 6.2L, UPDATE: Lifter failure at 80k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robhotdog

Reaction score
If you heard a Squeek I'd bet it's a bad roller on a lifter. Wont get any better. It will start eating the camshaft lobe till audible knock and misfire codes set. Have it looked at and scanned. If misfire codes are there you can forget exhaust leaks. Heads off..new cam n lifters is the only fix.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
After driving 1,000 miles since the video I finally had the truck get looked at by my dealer in Minnesota after driving from southern Indiana. Truck seemed to perform fine the whole way home, but could hear the ticking noise under light acceleration below 2,000 RPM on highway.

Engine hasn't been torn down yet to confirm but tech says it has to be a lifter failure. Can get the noise when engine is warm letting off the accelerator. Will know more hopefully by the end of next week.

We had forgotten this dealership that is servicing it (where we bought it new) gave us a lifetime powertrain warranty. Fingers crossed, but this whole job should be covered by that. My service advisor has to confirm still but he said it should be. Got really lucky with this one... I know these lifter jobs are thousands.

maxpsi

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully, it doesn't damage any engine bearings in the process. Keep an eye on the oil pressure.

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
Any updates?
After sitting there for 2 weeks the tech finally pulled lifters to check and they were all perfectly normal. Ended up being two loose rocker arms on cylinders 3 and 5... Ticking noise is no more. All the pushrods were still straight and the rocker arms were torqued back to spec. No clue how those ended up loose but they were.

Little less than $300 later and all fixed. Thank goodness. Not covered by powertrain warranty as it was just a couple loose bolts....

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would dispute that not being covered under power train warranty. All bolts and fasteners are part of engine which is power train!

OP
OP
lbenson

lbenson

Reaction score
I would dispute that not being covered under power train warranty. All bolts and fasteners are part of engine which is power train!
I would agree however the powertrain warranty specifically lists everything included (it's past the factory one, I have an unlimited time/mileage one from dealer but only includes all internally lubricated components and anything else listed on the warranty.)

I have a great relationship with my service advisor and he gave me a nice discount on my bill that time (almost 30%). I had the engine oil cooler lines and rear brakes replaced at the same time they fixed the bolts.

tahoe_rst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Ibenson,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have similar noise on my new Tahoe 2022, but maybe a little bit lighter. I can hear it from the left front wheel areas and from the bottom of the engine. The ticking noise doesn't happen on the cold engine, only after driving for 10-20 mins.

I am not sure if my noise is lifter noise.

Could you please clarify few questions:
1. In your car the noise was happening on cold or hot engine?
2. Was it more loud from the bottom of the engine?
3. Do you have more videos go your noise (outside the car)? If yes, could you please share?

Thank you so much

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Ibenson,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have similar noise on my new Tahoe 2022, but maybe a little bit lighter. I can hear it from the left front wheel areas and from the bottom of the engine. The ticking noise doesn't happen on the cold engine, only after driving for 10-20 mins.

I am not sure if my noise is lifter noise.

Could you please clarify few questions:
1. In your car the noise was happening on cold or hot engine?
2. Was it more loud from the bottom of the engine?
3. Do you have more videos go your noise (outside the car)? If yes, could you please share?

Thank you so much
I just read this post and all 3 of those questions were answered in the post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts