2018 10spd acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveo123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About a month ago, My Denali XL 4wd with the 10 speed started to have delayed shifts from park to reverse and drive, And would sometimes slam into either of the gears.

Trans shifted normally other then that until this evening, drove to a gas station about a mile up the road no problems, but to be honest i was driving pretty slow to notice anything odd.

On the way home going up a small hill I noticed the truck was reving pretty high and not shifting, at that point I was at my home and decided to go around the block to see what was going on, after a few hundred feet the trans stopped working completely and the truck was just reving so I coasted to the side, turned it off and back on and the trans was back to normal.

Going to take it in tomorrow ( only has 8k miles ) but wondering if anybody else has had a issue with the 10 speed?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a month ago, My Denali XL 4wd with the 10 speed started to have delayed shifts from park to reverse and drive, And would sometimes slam into either of the gears.

Not with the 10 speed but the 8 speed, but I was experiencing similar issues to these ones and the dealer did a "TCM update" and trans fluid flush and replace and to my surprise it fixed the issues and is a much smoother experience so far.

I know it's not the 10 speed, but your dealer may recommend a similar fix? Keep us posted as though as this is the first I've heard on the 10 speeds.

OP
OP
S

Steveo123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not with the 10 speed but the 8 speed, but I was experiencing similar issues to these ones and the dealer did a "TCM update" and trans fluid flush and replace and to my surprise it fixed the issues and is a much smoother experience so far.

I know it's not the 10 speed, but your dealer may recommend a similar fix? Keep us posted as though as this is the first I've heard on the 10 speeds.

Can’t get it in till Monday but drove it all day today and no problems, I’m thinking it can benefit from a update also.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Trans shifted normally other then that until this evening, drove to a gas station about a mile up the road no problems, but to be honest i was driving pretty slow to notice anything odd.

On the way home going up a small hill I noticed the truck was reving pretty high and not shifting, at that point I was at my home and decided to go around the block to see what was going on, after a few hundred feet the trans stopped working completely and the truck was just reving so I coasted to the side, turned it off and back on and the trans was back to normal.

Going to take it in tomorrow ( only has 8k miles ) but wondering if anybody else has had a issue with the 10 speed?

Hi Steven,

You can see if AllDataDIY has your truck yet and join to get access to the shop manuals, trouble shooting guides, bulletins, just about everything you need to know about your truck. Sounds to me like something has gotten out of calibration or a sticking actuator. Hopefully, an internal code has set and the dealer can pull it up with the MDI and GDS2 software, which you can buy yourself to help diagnose and check things out.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have 7k miles not problem here with the transmission shifting perfect and smooth .
Hope to stay like that the next 2 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Steveo123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There was a TSB issued:
18169: Service Update – 10 Speed Transmission Delayed Shifting – 2018 Cadillac Chevrolet GMC

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8885/18169-se...-delayed-shifting-2018-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Not a surprise for this fairly new transmission. It was good enough, but is getting better now!

Hey thanks for that! I never took the truck in because they did not have any loaners available and has been driving fine besides the delayed shift. Will be sure to let them know there is a TSB out when i do drop off.

jason952

Reaction score
Noticed the same issue tonight. We got rid of our 2015i 8 speed for similar issues.

Hope the tsb fixes it!

Only 7.6k miles on this ‘18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I do not have the issue but they update the transmission program yesterday and the shift is even better now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rumblur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Yes, I have the exact same issue. Shifting from reverse to drive. Maybe a 3 or 4 second delay. Not consistent. Sometimes one day, then not the next. 2018 RST 10 speed 9K miles. Hope to figure out what it is, but hesitant to take it to my dealer as he has proven to lack competence so far at even changing my oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14