2017 Yukon Xl Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slootdude

Reaction score
So yesterday, sitting at a red light, light turns green, I lightly press on the gas. Vehicle shutters and then i feel a thud. Make my turn and am pressing on the gas, RPM's are rising but barely any power. Make it back to my office. Call the dealership. They're about 2 miles away. Go to drive it to them, barely make it there. Feels like its not engaging, shutters at every gear shift. Any ideas what could be wrong? Waiting to hear back from the dealership now. Mileage is 55,004. So should be covered under powertrain warranty but truck is lifted so not positive.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a new type of tranny fluid released by GM after the first of the year. Maybe a re-program and new tranny fluid or it could be more extensive. Hard to say at this point. Let us know what the Dealer says.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much as my service adviser told me about this. I think it was to address all the 8speed issues but I assume it could be used in other GM trannys.

OP
OP
S

slootdude

Reaction score
Still hasn't been diagnosed by the dealership. From what I've heard the torque converters are a big problem. Still waiting to see what's gonna happen.

OP
OP
S

slootdude

Reaction score
Torque converter came apart, dumped a bunch of metal into the trans clogging up the pump. Which caused my issues. Whole thing is being rebuilt with no ETA.......

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No special fluid would have helped that situation. Thanks for the update and good luck with the repair.

playoptions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same “at the traffic light” issue with my ‘16 Denali XL @61,X00... this past Monday. Dealer still hasn’t even gotten into it, as of Thursday. Waiting patiently. Ugh.

It had codes P0700 and P2714. I got a tow, after driving it about a mile.

Ironically, I had the transmission fluid flush done just about a month ago at 59,000 under factory power train. Go figure this issue is just past the 60k.

So curious what they will tell me. The 8L90 has always given me a slight shutter and 2 local dealerships just blow off my concerns.... frequently as out of balance wheels..”those 22s are hard to balance.” I am confused why they don’t listen.... like these dealers don’t want the service business? Now that I have a transmission codes, I can say - I told you so.

Fingers crossed I can get a new transmission and torque converter, out of this. Fortunately I have GMPP MajorGuard... but honestly hope GM Factory warrantee owns up to it.

Any advice is welcome? Thanks all

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same “at the traffic light” issue with my ‘16 Denali XL @61,X00... this past Monday. Dealer still hasn’t even gotten into it, as of Thursday. Waiting patiently. Ugh.

It had codes P0700 and P2714. I got a tow, after driving it about a mile.

Ironically, I had the transmission fluid flush done just about a month ago at 59,000 under factory power train. Go figure this issue is just past the 60k.

So curious what they will tell me. The 8L90 has always given me a slight shutter and 2 local dealerships just blow off my concerns.... frequently as out of balance wheels..”those 22s are hard to balance.” I am confused why they don’t listen.... like these dealers don’t want the service business? Now that I have a transmission codes, I can say - I told you so.

Fingers crossed I can get a new transmission and torque converter, out of this. Fortunately I have GMPP MajorGuard... but honestly hope GM Factory warrantee owns up to it.

Any advice is welcome? Thanks all
Rule #1 for service advisors at a dealership - never, ever listen to the customer.

Tee202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm having the same issue with my 16 Denali took it in back in Nov of 18 damn car was shaking as it a pitbull had it by the roof. It was the torque converter they did a flush and reprogram and sent me about my way said something about I had to drive it 500 miles to get the fluid throughout the transmission.

March of 19 came the same issues seem to come back I take it in the dealership said the vehicle is performing as normal. I take it to another dealership and they also mentioned the same performing as normal.

Take the vehicle in this past Friday for brakes get the vehicle back drive about 10 miles truck stalls torque converter again after I freaking told them I had issues. Truck currently has 58k on it so still a little left on the warranty but I'm thinking their going to do another half ass fix and I'll be out of the warranty.

I swear call me crazy I'm so ready to go back to Acura

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345