2017 Yukon XL Denali...love it but parking lights come on when it rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Yukon XL Denali...we love the truck but parking lights come on when it rains and the truck is just sitting in driveway. any thoughts? thx in advance! bkc

lights.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it running or just sitting overnight? Remote started? Is it cold when it happens or just always in the rain? Any other problems? Slow crank? Battery seem low? A little more info..

OP
OP
B

bcummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it running or just sitting overnight? Remote started? Is it cold when it happens or just always in the rain? Any other problems? Slow crank? Battery seem low? A little more info..

This has happened twice during recent rains when the truck was just sitting in the driveway...hours after driving it. I actually saw it when I woke up, went out and wasn't able to get it to go off with the controls so pulled the fuses. Later that day after the rain was over I put the fuses back in and it was fine. Went another week fine then it occurred again overnight during the next rain. We have only had the truck for about a month and 1/2 (22,250 miles). No other complaints. Not particularly cold (maybe 40's at the low). Has only occurred in rain. Thx!

OP
OP
B

bcummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found this thread from last Fall which seems to lean towards the switch.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/parking-lights-wont-turn-off.96918/

If that's the case I'd need to see whether it has (Rear and/or Front Fog Lights). Any good online resources on getting into that part of the dash?
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2017/gmc/yukon_xl/body_electrical/headlight_switch.html

Also, going to check with local dealer tomorrow before doing anything. We bought it used out of state. Not sure warranty situation since we're second owner. Truck has ~22,250 miles.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what, used or not, truck has a 3 year 36k warranty. Bring it to your closest gm dealer and the can not/will not refuse to work on it since its warranty work. I wouldnt touch anything until dealer looks. By chance, when pulling fuses, notice anything wet or wetness inside cabin? Especially on driver side? Does it have a sunroof?
Dont mean to rain on your parade but whoever you bought it from, dealer or private party prob recieved it on a trade and never told the dealer about it or the dealer knew full well and didn’t disclose...i would not go to original place, go to closest dealer to you explain what the problem is, do not tell them you pulled fuses and let them figure it out. Tell them exactly what happens and when and leave it at that, do not offer solutions or tell them any more. Explain that its too far to bring it to where you purchased and any help would be appreciated. You catch more flies with honey... as the saying goes... until they start giving you crap... then you can do whatever it takes. My opinion..

OP
OP
B

bcummins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No matter what, used or not, truck has a 3 year 36k warranty. Bring it to your closest gm dealer and the can not/will not refuse to work on it since its warranty work. I wouldnt touch anything until dealer looks. By chance, when pulling fuses, notice anything wet or wetness inside cabin? Especially on driver side? Does it have a sunroof?
Dont mean to rain on your parade but whoever you bought it from, dealer or private party prob recieved it on a trade and never told the dealer about it or the dealer knew full well and didn’t disclose...i would not go to original place, go to closest dealer to you explain what the problem is, do not tell them you pulled fuses and let them figure it out. Tell them exactly what happens and when and leave it at that, do not offer solutions or tell them any more. Explain that its too far to bring it to where you purchased and any help would be appreciated. You catch more flies with honey... as the saying goes... until they start giving you crap... then you can do whatever it takes. My opinion..

Sounds like a plan. We've got an appointment lined up w local dealer in the morning. Will keep my mouth shut and smile. Thx! ;-)

wu6fiend

Reaction score
If you do find any sign of water ingress, check the top of the A pillar. If wet/damp, chances are the water is getting in via the "shark fin" antenna, this is very, very common with these trucks as well as GM's pickups, all use the same antenna. My 2016 leaked, and had to go back to the dealer twice before it was fixed. I'll be interested to find out what the cause is of this problem, never heard of such a strange issue before. Good luck!

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned it is used, the vehicle could have issues. Back in 08 we bought a brand new off the lot Acadia SLT AWD, during year 3 with about 31k miles on it we started having major issues, some mechanical and many that were electrical. Come to find out that the Pano roof on most of these vehicles along with the Saturn model leaked, and the water would run down the roofline and down the A pillar to the electrical in the dash. One night when it was raining really hard I looked out in my driveway and the driver side DRL light was on, no other lights, just the DRL on the driverside, well needless to say, next morning the car battery was totally dead. I lifted the carpet and the entire floorboard was saturated with water and we took it to the dealer and that was when the fight started, GM kept saying they were going to have someone contact us to take care of our situation, that is all they do is say they are going to have someone call you, but that is the only calls we got. I ended up going back to the dealer where we bought it and the service manager right away handed me a note with a Lawyers number to Lemon Law the car back to GM...I said are you serious? This is the answer you have for me, and he said GM is not going to do anything to help you trade your car etc, just call this Lawyer and they will handle everything. Sure enough, they did, I got back the money after 3 years basically a retro amount, plus all DMV fees, and the money I paid for the Window tint on the car. I ended up getting back close to $23k and paid the Lawyer their $4.200.00.

I mention this so you don't start chasing around to try and have what could be a major problem, not sure where you are located, but last years floods destroyed a lot of nice cars and you never know if the truck you have was involved in such a scenario, or perhaps the sunroof was left open during a rain and something has now happened to the electrical. Lights coming on by themselves is a bad sign, so hopefully you get it resolved right away, and if not, hopefully you are able to trade the vehicle and be compensated. Be sure you track your dealer visits, doing the Lemon Law thing may be the best route if they cannot correct the problem. This way you get back all your money and it is not a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts