2017 Yukon XL Air Conditioning Went Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stw2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My AC on my 2017 Yukon XL went out last week. I purchased the vehicle new with 65 miles on it in April of 2018, and as of today it has 48,600 miles. I did a little research on this site and appreciate the post that helped me find Special Coverage Adjustment 17336. This SCA extends the warranty on the AC for 5 years/60,000 miles for 2015-2017 Escalades, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons.

I took this to the local dealership, and they confirmed that my condition exactly matched the one described in the SCA, however, they stated that my VIN number is not covered under the SCA. I paid the $869 to get it fixed yesterday, and then spent an hour today chatting with GMC customer support trying to get reimbursed.

It seems crazy to me that I spent $60k on a vehicle and the AC failed within 2.5 years and they're trying not to cover it. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, do you have any recommendations on how to get reimbursed?

Thanks in advance!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It would help to know what the exact problem is. That can help as far as whether the repair should have been covered.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming it's the usual AC condenser issue? Been a while since I read that notice, but I do believe that not all 15-17s are covered (VIN specific) and unfortunately it sounds like yours is one of them. Pretty sure they changed the design somewhere at the beginning of 2017 model year builds.

Sucks, for sure, and hopefully GM will come back with at least some relief.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Stick with it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would hammer them till they cave in. Let us know what happens.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My AC on my 2017 Yukon XL went out last week. I purchased the vehicle new with 65 miles on it in April of 2018, and as of today it has 48,600 miles. I did a little research on this site and appreciate the post that helped me find Special Coverage Adjustment 17336. This SCA extends the warranty on the AC for 5 years/60,000 miles for 2015-2017 Escalades, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons.

I took this to the local dealership, and they confirmed that my condition exactly matched the one described in the SCA, however, they stated that my VIN number is not covered under the SCA. I paid the $869 to get it fixed yesterday, and then spent an hour today chatting with GMC customer support trying to get reimbursed.

It seems crazy to me that I spent $60k on a vehicle and the AC failed within 2.5 years and they're trying not to cover it. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, do you have any recommendations on how to get reimbursed?

Thanks in advance!

The A/C Condenser goes belly up on every 2015-2017 Tahoe/Yukon without fail. Mine went out at 80K miles but most go out a lot earlier.

My GMC dealer was nice enough to talk GM into paying for it. They even paid for my rental Charger from Enterprise which I had for few hours. I had mine fixed the very next day after it went out.

How the bad Condenser went on for 3 years baffles me.

With that said I still love my Hoe.

Welcome from Miami Beach Stephen!

OP
OP
stw2003

stw2003

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips/input folks. The dealer was no help so I took it to GMC customer support. They were very responsive and helpful. GMC reached back out to me this morning and agreed to reimburse me for half of it. After spending four months fighting with AT&T and getting nowhere I'll take half and run. Much better experience dealing with them than I expected. Still love the Yukon, and I feel better about GMC knowing that their customer support is responsive and willing to provide some help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
100% would be better but when you have no further to go with a complaint, then 50% is a win. Congrats!

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Talking to GMC about this now to see if they will reimburse any portion of the cost. I'll continue to air my grievances about how big of a ************* this car is. America cant build cars anymore.

Cottonseed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They wont. Told me to talk to the dealership who wont do shit. dont buy this truck if you want a well-made product. Buy something made in Japan.