2017 Yukon..Vibrating sound coming from front left wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavesLEDrepair

DavesLEDrepair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View attachment 241249 View attachment 241248 View attachment 241248 Well I just got the Yukon jacked up on the passenger side to see if I hade any play in the hub. No play that I could feel? However, I did not the axel on the passage side was in way better shape then the driver side ? (The side I thought the noise was coming from? ) so my question would be could this noise be coming from the axel? And would it manifest it self the same way as a hub. Example the noise go away when I’m in a slight turn and return when I straighten out? I hate to change the other hub and still have the noise. I did take a picture of both axels . The rusty one is the driver side and the one that looks a little better is the passenger side.
My thought is if it is a bad axel and it creating a lot of heat that is what is causing the axel to deteriorate quicker? I could be wrong? 02BB33C6-21DA-47A4-8340-1CC246D8228F.jpeg C79773D1-8902-4494-B065-E770CB89D220.jpeg

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a humming noise coming from the front driver side of my 2017 Yukon Xl . It has 73,000 miles on it. It sounds like it has aggressive mud tire on it. But it doesn’t! I’m thinking it might be a hub going bad ? When going down the freeway and it curved to the left the sound went away but when it curve to the left the sound is still there? I can’t decide if it’s a bad tire or a bad bearing hub? Anyone else this issue?

You never clarified which was "right". You could have changed the wrong hub. If the noise goes away when you turn the wheel left, it's the left hub. If it goes away when you turn the wheel right, it's the right hub.

As far as the axle shafts go, surface rust on one and not on the other doesn't really tend to indicate anything. As long as the boots are in good shape and not ripped you can't necessarily fault them. If one is bad, you'd probably hear a clicking noise when turning at low speeds rather than the growl you described, but you never know.

What you described is textbook unit bearing, I think you may have just guessed the wrong side.

OP
OP
DavesLEDrepair

DavesLEDrepair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You never clarified which was "right". You could have changed the wrong hub. If the noise goes away when you turn the wheel left, it's the left hub. If it goes away when you turn the wheel right, it's the right hub.

As far as the axle shafts go, surface rust on one and not on the other doesn't really tend to indicate anything. As long as the boots are in good shape and not ripped you can't necessarily fault them. If one is bad, you'd probably hear a clicking noise when turning at low speeds rather than the growl you described, but you never know.

What you described is textbook unit bearing, I think you may have just guessed the wrong side.

Yup! I changed the wrong one if what you say is true to the turning to the right or turning the left. It goes away when I turn to the right . And I changed the left side . It really sounded like it was coming from the left side. anyways I guess I will have two new hubs in the near future. Thanks for the info. it really doesn’t sound like a bad axel but thought I would check .

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! I changed the wrong one if what you say is true to the turning to the right or turning the left. It goes away when I turn to the right . And I changed the left side . It really sounded like it was coming from the left side. anyways I guess I will have two new hubs in the near future. Thanks for the info. it really doesn’t sound like a bad axel but thought I would check .
So post kind of unclear did you fix it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts