2017 Yukon Denali - MRC- Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob3700

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Across the river from the Arch in St. Louis
I recently up-graded from a 2003 Yukon Denali to a 2017. The 2017 has MRC, 20 " tires and all of the other bells and whistles.

One thing I have noticed right away, the ride is much more harsh than the 2003. Yes, there were a lot of miles on the 03 but the overall ride was much softer. The 2017 is OK on the highway, but changes to a 3/4 ton pickup in town. Every tar strip or small pothole is just jarring. Although the vehicle has MRC there does not seem to be any driver adjustment. I checked the owners manual and it indicates the system automatically learns the road conditions. Well it does not seem to learn in the city.

The 03 had torsion bar front suspension vs the 2017 coil springs, could that be the main difference I am noticing?

The 2017 is a technology powerhouse but the 03 was a much more compliant/pleasing ride overall.

Any thoughts on the MRC having issues. The 17 is a CPO vehicle and if there are any problems, I certainly was to have them addressed now.

Bob

PS: Was just wondering if the tires could be the issue? They are the stock 20" Continentals. The 03 Denali had 17" Goodyear Wranglers on it. Those tires coupled with the torsion bar front suspension really had a cruiser ride.

The 2017 only has 24,000 mls on it but was thinking that next year would retire it with Michelin's.

Last edited:

Apple Pie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently up-graded from a 2003 Yukon Denali to a 2017. The 2017 has MRC, 20 " tires and all of the other bells and whistles.

One thing I have noticed right away, the ride is much more harsh than the 2003. Yes, there were a lot of miles on the 03 but the overall ride was much softer. The 2017 is OK on the highway, but changes to a 3/4 ton pickup in town. Every tar strip or small pothole is just jarring. Although the vehicle has MRC there does not seem to be any driver adjustment. I checked the owners manual and it indicates the system automatically learns the road conditions. Well it does not seem to learn in the city.

The 03 had torsion bar front suspension vs the 2017 coil springs, could that be the main difference I am noticing?

The 2017 is a technology powerhouse but the 03 was a much more compliant/pleasing ride overall.

Any thoughts on the MRC having issues. The 17 is a CPO vehicle and if there are any problems, I certainly was to have them addressed now.

Bob

PS: Was just wondering if the tires could be the issue? They are the stock 20" Continentals. The 03 Denali had 17" Goodyear Wranglers on it. Those tires coupled with the torsion bar front suspension really had a cruiser ride.

The 2017 only has 24,000 mls on it but was thinking that next year would retire it with Michelin's.
I recently purchased a 2017 Tahoe LT with 34000 miles. I love the vehicle, but have issue with the ride as you do. It has the 18” Uniroyal Tiger Paws and stock suspension. I traded a 2008 Expedition with 170,000 miles and it rode much better than Tahoe. It does not handle uneven pavement or gravel roads because it is very harsh with teeth jarring bumps. On the open road, there is more than comfortable body lean that makes me brace myself to keep in my seat. So, my question is this: how can I improve the ride without rebuilding everything? Will it take new tires, wheels, shocks, air ride, etc. what are everyone’s suggestions.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRC on these vehicles are junk IMO and many others. Many people remove the MRC and go back to conventional suspension. Do a search

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MRC is total garbage and a gimmick BS marketing crap. I loved their commercial with the Denali that said something like the MRC does millions of computations to determine the blah blah blah. It should read, the MRC does millions of computations so you can feel each bump in the road in your lower back. It’s junk.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

My 2002 with 286,000 miles is 1000x’s more smooth than my 2016 Denali. Not even a comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094