2017 Yukon Denali bogging down and fluttering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cathyzig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon Denali- 53,000 that I recently took in because it at first was bogging down and fluttering going up hills now it seems to do it even on flat roads. It is not throwing any codes. I take it to GM and the report is - inspected transmission fluid found burnt fluid , scanned for codes - no codes, transmission is internally damaged. Advise to replace transmission 6,000.00 . Is this typical for a Yukon and not throwing a code ? I was thinking it was more a fuel issue - but what do I know ? The service advisor asked if I towed with it ( that's what I have the big engine for) . He said that's probably why- which i think is crap. So my question actually is - is it really the transmission ? no codes just some burnt fluid ? I do have the extended warranty that covers it. I have had tahoes for years but went to a Yukon last year .Thanks is advance for any advice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if it's under warranty no harm in taking advantage of that, if it's not the engine then it's the transmission.
I assume based on the year you must have the 8 speed?, those have issue's sometimes they can be addressed with some kind of fluid flush
there should be a tsb on it, but burnt fluid is not a good sign.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the transmission fluid been changed before this started? Did you buy it brand new or used? It maybe worth taking it somewhere and having the fluid changed and seeing if that cures it before taking the dealerships path and replacing the transmission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same year and style truck. I had Trans shudder that showed up at 42k. GM flushed it with the new updated fluid and it's been perfect ever since. I typically used to service transmissions every 30 to 50k depending on use. 30k if towing regularly, 50k is just hauling a** and air.

The fact that it went to the burnt point is no good. If the GM warranty will put a new transmission in it, let them do it. You'll get a new unit with any updates and all new CORRECT fluid.

Win-win, take er in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts