2017 Yukon dash went blank while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJMBLAZER

Reaction score
Today while driving down the highway my wife’s ‘17 Yukon had an interesting event.

The whole dash and gauge cluster went blank. Displays and needles.

This happened for a moment and then everything came back on as if the vehicle was being started...while going 70mph down the road.

Anyone seen anything like this? I’ve seen a bit about the infotainment touch screen but this was the whole dash.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today while driving down the highway my wife’s ‘17 Yukon had an interesting event.

The whole dash and gauge cluster went blank. Displays and needles.

This happened for a moment and then everything came back on as if the vehicle was being started...while going 70mph down the road.

Anyone seen anything like this? I’ve seen a bit about the infotainment touch screen but this was the whole dash.
Did she say if anything else acted off? Lose power steering? Motor hiccup?

There have been a couple other guys in here mention something like this but if I remember they had other issues as well.

@BlaineBug I think is one of them.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My issue was somewhat different than that and never occurred while driving.

The GM service center ultimately ended up replacing the ECM as well as finding ground wire G141 to be full of undercoating. If both of these remedies fix my problem forever I really won't know. Give me 6 months to a year and if the issues don't crop up again then I think I'll be good to go, that is the only way to know for certain. The issues were so intermittent that it's hard to make any determination what so ever. Between the first and second occurrences was a six week period without a problem!

You can read through the many pages of my thread here. Also maybe show your wife the video I recorded, not that it will do much good since her experience sounds to be different.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/posts/1424496/

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First thing I thought of when I read this was a ground problem, which has been discussed in many threads here.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am talking about the main grounds under the hood and at the firewall and on the engine and on the frame. Blaine was also talking about a frame ground in his post. Not saying a dash ground can't cause this but we see SOOOOOO many problems with the grounds I am talking about. Join ALLDATAdiy.com for a year at a time and all of your ground spots and many many other things are there for your rig. It is the same place shops go for info.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
70 MPH and loss of power, electrical or propulsion run off either of those is a shat your pants experience. We continually used our loss of the accessory drive belt at 25mph exiting a freeway and having no power for brakes, steering and engine overheating as the winning argument to stop our service contract Co from using made in China parts for repairs.

When that didn’t sway them, we reminded them they were arguing about 1-$2h differences for a vehicle full of kids on “their” recorded line. Careful on this problem and make sure they document the precise problem on the service ticket, not their interpretation of what you stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10113871-9999.pdf

Just read this earlier. Pertains to the Silverados built in Fort Wayne, IN. However our SUVs were bult in Texas, so I don't know.

Like I said, I have no idea if replacing the ECM and cleaning G141 will be the absolute cure. Apparently the dealership tech reached out to GM TSC and that was at their recommendation to replace the ECM. I guess there could be only so many things. Unfortunately, every time I start, my heart just might skip a beat for the anticipation.

When I brought my Yukon in the first time in January and all they did were check battery connections, I suppose they totally skipped over the grounds for whatever reason. So I was surprised to have them tell me they found a ground wire with a potential issue, because I thought all of that would have been addressed the last time.

The ground wire you would be looking for up on the dashboard behind the driver's side tweeter speaker would be G218.

According to the TSB, G218 was only troublesome for trucks and SUVs built prior to June of 2015. So it sounds as if something was changed after June of 2015 in response to the problem with poor ground conductivity in that location. So I would think your 2017 model would be un-affected. I haven't checked out G218 on my vehicle but if you do, let us know what you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu