2017 XL Denali vs 2016 ESV Premium vs 2016 ESV Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2010, I chose the Escalade over a tahoe, mostly b/c of the HID's, LED's, and better looking interior. The gauges was a VERY big factor, b/c when I went for a drive in the tahoe, it reminded me of a 90's honda with the green backlight.

I bought a 2017 Escalade recent, after being impressed with a LTZ tahoe. The interior was really nice, UNTIL I decided to look at the new Escalade. The gauges being a huge LCD scree, 360 cam, and the leather, suede, metal and wood everywhere really won me over. The dash is leather instead of some padded foam etc...

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2010, I chose the Escalade over a tahoe, mostly b/c of the HID's, LED's, and better looking interior. The gauges was a VERY big factor, b/c when I went for a drive in the tahoe, it reminded me of a 90's honda with the green backlight.

I bought a 2017 Escalade recent, after being impressed with a LTZ tahoe. The interior was really nice, UNTIL I decided to look at the new Escalade. The gauges being a huge LCD scree, 360 cam, and the leather, suede, metal and wood everywhere really won me over. The dash is leather instead of some padded foam etc...

I agree the Tahoe is really nice, in all trims really. But if you spend too much time in an Escalade, you may become won over by all that luxurious leather, wood, metal, and features. Esky is like the sun, you can’t look at it for too long or you’ll become blind to the other variants. Lol, I think it’s happening to me.. oh oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the Tahoe is really nice, in all trims really. But if you spend too much time in an Escalade, you may become won over by all that luxurious leather, wood, metal, and features. Esky is like the sun, you can’t look at it for too long or you’ll become blind to other variants. Lol, I think it’s happening to me.. oh oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBt2A81.jpg
You should get one! I love my 2017 ESV and depending on where you looking, one may be more affordable than you think.

https://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/Cadillac-Escalade-ESV/vehicle/1GYS3HKJ3HR218892

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Escalade looks really nice. What trim level is that?
It’s a luxury esv. So it has all the features that you would like (nav, heated/Cooled seats, 360 cam, rear view cam, lane assist, blind spot monitoring, collision warning etc).

The premium model adds light up door handles, power running boards, and intelligent cruise control.

Platinum gives you 3-4 tv’s, massaging front seats, and cooled center console, along with black alcantara head liner, and higher grade leather and a shinier grill

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a luxury esv. So it has all the features that you would like (nav, heated/Cooled seats, 360 cam, rear view cam, lane assist, blind spot monitoring, collision warning etc).

The premium model adds light up door handles, power running boards, and intelligent cruise control.

Platinum gives you 3-4 tv’s, massaging front seats, and cooled center console, along with black alcantara head liner, and higher grade leather and a shinier grill

Thanks! Since you own a current generation, which one of these would you recommend? Assume similar pricing/mileage

2016 ESV Premium
2017 ESV Luxury

The 16 won't have the rear view mirror video display, but it will have all the Premium upgrades. Do you use the rear view mirror video display often? It does sound pretty cool, especially if you have the whole vehicle loaded with gear and can't see through the back. Also, I was thinking if one went with the 2016, I wonder if that video rear view mirror could be added? Have you heard of anyone doing that?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If caddy wants to extract $100k from my wallet they will need to do 2 things:

1) not have it be for a dressed up $40k vehicle
2) lose the garish jersey shore bling. Make it a sleeper. Not a screamer.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Since you own a current generation, which one of these would you recommend? Assume similar pricing/mileage

2016 ESV Premium
2017 ESV Luxury

The 16 won't have the rear view mirror video display, but it will have all the Premium upgrades. Do you use the rear view mirror video display often? It does sound pretty cool, especially if you have the whole vehicle loaded with gear and can't see through the back. Also, I was thinking if one went with the 2016, I wonder if that video rear view mirror could be added? Have you heard of anyone doing that?

I have not heard of anyone adding it. I will say that a premium is better than a luxury as far as the few features you will get (power running boards, lighted door handles, and intelligent cruise control vs standard cruise control). BUT the biggest complaint I hear about the big gm suv platforms is the intelligent cruise control doesn’t work well, and also a mechanical running board is an extra moving part that can break (hence I prefer the fixed that both of my Escalades have).

Also if I wasn’t going to test drive them, I would pick the 17, Bc it will less likely have the vibration/buffering issue we hear so much about. I test drove 3 16 models from luxury to platinum and they all had it, but the 17 I bought did not have the issue. When I told the dealer about their cpo cars, they said that’s the first they ever heard of that issue, so I made him ride along and pay attention.

For the same price I would go 17 just to avoid the vibration problem, and the extra year of warranty, but if I test drove the 16 and it didn’t have a vibration, and it was say slightly less in price. I would get the premium. Luxury msrp is 85, premium is 88-89k. Considering depreciation and no one can tell which model you bought. I would have to have the 16 come in at 2k cheaper

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If caddy wants to extract $100k from my wallet they will need to do 2 things:

1) not have it be for a dressed up $40k vehicle
2) lose the garish jersey shore bling. Make it a sleeper. Not a screamer.

If you look closely, it’s not as “blingy” as you may think. All the trim is a brushes or satin silver, not chrome. My 2010 has chrome everywhere, the only chrome on my 17 is around the windows and the spikes on the wheels (which Yukon’s and Tahoe’s all have too!!!)

The grill is silver also, and it’s big, but that’s also the selling point, their main buyers like the brand recognition. And I prefer the styling, minus the tail lights could be smaller. Btw the Silverado’s have more chrome on them than an escalade.

bOLkHRo.jpg

Notice how you can see the reflection off the grill on my 2010 but not on the 17, all the trim is satin finished, not chrome. Even the headlights, most of what you see is the glass lenses for the random leds that run in two rows, one for head lights and one for drl

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grill is silver also, and it’s big, but that’s also the selling point, their main buyers like the brand recognition. l

You're probably right but in the 'general population' (of which I consider myself) screaming 'I'm driving a cadillac' isnt a particularly compelling message and that was kinda my point. I agree the brushed chrome is nicer looking but in all its just not my bag. If they'd tone it down/class it up it'd be in the mix when I look for a new ride for sure.

Brand value:

Ford, $22.4 billion
Chevrolet, $11.5 billion
Buick, $2.3 billion
Lincoln, $1.9 billion
Cadillac, $1.7 billion
Dodge, $1.6 billion

Dont shoot the messenger. I came across it on gminsidenews.com.

https://www.rankingthebrands.com/PDF/Brand Finance Global 500 2017.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518