2017 vs 2018 Yukon XL 8 vs 10 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Msd801

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are in the market for an Yukon XL Denali I’ve looked at a few low mile 17s that are nearly perfect but for about 7-8k more it looks like we could go new. I realize the warranty differences/advantages but I really can’t quantify the 10 speed and new grill/active shutter differences. Is it worth the premium in the long run. We could also wait a bit, as we don’t have to have it this month and see if 2018 prices fall a bit more?

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 6 speed in my '15 Suburban, no problems. 8 speed in my '16 Silverado, absolute garbage. Now, 10 speed in my '18 Denali, it's perfect.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Car and Driver reviewed the 2018 with 10 speed and said it was “buttery smooth” and an improvement over the 8 speed. That said, I don’t think most people will notice a difference.

However, I would get the 2018 over the 2017 if you plan on keeping it a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 8 speed Escalade (2017) and had a loaner 10 speed Escalade (2018) and it's a night and day difference. Car shifted smoother, felt fast at any speed, and literally felt like I was driving a different car. It made me wish I held out another year to get an 18. If I find a killer deal on an 18, I may trade in my 17 for it.

OP
OP
M

Msd801

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP... so did you end up buying yet?

At the moment we have decided to hold and see what prices do at the start of next year we aren't in a huge rush, in time for a summer 19 road trip is the target.

IMO the prices I have found for low mileage 17s are still high considering the transmission difference. 18's with some mileage seem to be hitting the market, if we can find the right one I think that's the choice.(or if my local dealer wants to actually deal on one still sitting there..still at sticker less incentives)

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
I read a bunch of reviews by the car mags, and they all reported little difference between the 8 and 10 speed transmissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96